Delete OS 9 from panther

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does anyone know if it's ok to delete the folder OS 9 applications and the OS 9 folder out of panther? Just currious cause I will never use anything in OS 9 so why take up the space.

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dage007

Does anyone know if it's ok to delete the folder OS 9 applications and the OS 9 folder out of panther? Just currious cause I will never use anything in OS 9 so why take up the space.

thanks

My recommendation to you is that don't delete MacOS 9 unless there is some compelling reason to do so. I see entirely too many people who come on forum's like this begging for help reinstalling MacOS 9. If it is not running, the only thing that MacOS 9 deprives you of is disk space. On today's computers, it is barely noticeable. On my computer, application updaters and shareware files take up more space than MacOS 9. I still have more than 92 GB free.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I haven't had OS 9 around since 10.1. If there is honestly no reason that you'll need it. Toss it. I like only having 4 visible folders in the root of my drive.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Im just not sure which folder's I can toss from my root drive?

If you could let me know that would be great.

thanks
  • Reply 4 of 4
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    If you're looking to clean up your boot drive's root but keep OS 9 available, here's an approach I use:

- create a new disk image and mount it (using Disk Utility)

- copy all OS 9 folders there (they are: System Folder, Applications (Mac OS 9), Desktop Folder, Documents)

- point to OS 9's new system folder location with the Classic pref panel

- unmount

- stash the disk image wherever you please

Now, when you come across a classic app, OS X will automatically mount this disk image and boot Classic. Meanwhile your boot root looks like an OS X-only install - nice and clean.

enjoy,

dglow

P.S. if you don't want to fix the size of the OS 9 disk image, be sure to choose 'sparse image' when you create it. The image will automatically expand to the maximum size of its contents, thereby saving you real disk space.