Upgrade Or Replace G3 iBook?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a 12" iBook G3 600, 20GB, 640MB, which has just passed its second birthday. It's still a decent machine, but the combo drive is dead. I know I can get a replacement and have spent some time examing the various DIY guides on the net. As I don't have AppleCare there is no warranty to invalidate, but I admit to being more than a little nervy about cracking this baby open. Other than change RAM sticks I haven't really ever got inside a Mac before.

The 20GB HD is also getting a bit on the small side, so I thought about replacing that at the same time. The total cost of this I expect to be around 200 pounds (350 dollars) and I would more than likely end up getting these parts from the UK, where I will be for a month or so soon. Currently I'm living in northern Thailand and there isn't a fat lot of choice for compatible HD's and combo drives. Added to which, the prices seem to be if anything cheaper in the UK. Go figure.

But then I looked at the cost of a new 12" iBook, which (if I can find someone with the UK education discount to get it for me ) would work out at just under 700 pounds, including the 60GB HD upgrade. Sadly the new 'Books or prices haven't yet made it here, but they won't be cheaper than UK edu prices anyway.

So, after doing a few sums I have got to thinking that if I can sell this iBook and get a new one, then the extra involved would maybe be as little as 200 pounds or so above the cost of a self-done upgrade. And I don't have to get inside my Mac

My questions then are thus:

1. Would I notice a substantial increase in speed going from G3 600 to G4 1.0 Ghz?

I generally use my Mac for net stuff, including running X11 so I can access the SoulSeek network, iChat, Mail and Safari. I don't do any real movie work - other than making the occasional VCD, which is awfully slow - and only basic iPhoto image editing. Sometimes I like to hook it up to the TV to watch movies (from HD) though, and at the moment this means pretty jumpy and no-fun-to-watch movies.

2. Would I be better off replacing the busted combo drive anyway, even if I do buy a new one?

I am waiting on a quote from Thailand's Apple service centre, and if that is not too expensive I may well go for it. The problem comes if I try to get a replacement HD fitted by them at the same time, as I would have a relatively small choice of drives and possibly end up paying quite a bit more than I would in the UK, albeit having to do the job myself. I imagine I may get back most of the combo replacement cost in resale value, plus I could really use it whilst on the road. Right now i use an external FW box and drive, which won't be making the trip.

3. Would a 12" PowerBook be a better choice?

I've read plenty of iBook vs PowerBook threads and admit to liking the looks and extras on the PB, but doubt i would actually use any of them (no mobile phone / bluetooth devices, no wireless, don't need a superdrive, and I'm not a gamer so can't see where I'd need the extra VRAM). So, getting a PB would not only add close to 300 pounds to the total cost, but it would be mostly going on just the 'wow' factor wouldn't it?

As you can tell, I am keen on keeping the price down, but in truth i don't really have a fixed budget. It's more a case of getting good bang for my buck, and having a Mac that I can use for another couple of years without feeling the need to upgrade.

Sorry to go on so long. Thanks for reading and for any comments and suggestions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Fix it, sell it, replace it.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    That upgrade will definitely be worthwhile. In my experience, you never get your money back if you fix a computer before selling it. So I would sell your iBook G3 without repairing it (unless you can find a very cheap replacement drive and install it yourself). The iBook G4/1Ghz sell for a very attractive price. I would chosse the iBook G4 over the 12-inch PowerBook, but only if you don't need/want the extra speed, SuperDrive, or DVI-out with factory-supported spanning and clamshell mode.

Personally, I have decided to upgrade from my 12" iBook G3/500 to the 12-inch PowerBook G4/1.33Ghz because I want to hook it up to my external 17" LCD via DVI.

Escher
  • Reply 3 of 3
    resres Posts: 711member
    Replace it, and I agree with Escher that it is not worth fixing it before selling it unless you can do it on the cheap.