Great article about how ECHOE CHAMBER of the right-media works and won

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
THIS ARTICLE is an excellent piece about how the Right wing planned and put into operation a drive to take over the media, and how they won.

It is by a man who was once a leading attack-dog on the Right and realized that he was purposely disregarding veracity in favor of strategies.

It is a long article but really really worth reading.

I can't believe how relevant it is to everything that has been happening, and the responses of the mainstream to what has happened, and the responses of some of the more reflexive Conservatives on these boards.

To read the whole thing just watch the attached FLASH file. .. . its painless and fast.

It shows how a small group of people come up with 'talking points' (something that I am not sure I have ever seen associated with any 'lefties') and have a whole support structure in place to have these points disseminated. He shows how Gore was turned into a 'Liar' by rewriting some of his statements . . .

Gore later summed up the whole mechanism of the "Echo Chamber" and said
Quote:

The media is kind of weird these days on politics, and there are some major institutional voices that are, truthfully speaking, part and parcel of the Republican Party. Fox News Network, the Washington Times, Rush Limbaugh -- there's a bunch of them, and some of them are financed by wealthy ultra-conservative billionaires who make political deals with Republican administrations and the rest of the media.... Most of the media [has] been slow to recognize the pervasive impact of this Fifth Column in their ranks -- that is, day after day, injecting the daily Republican talking points into the definition of what's objective as stated by the news media as a whole....

Something will start at the Republican National Committee, inside the building, and it will explode the next day on the right-wing talk-show network and on Fox News and in the newspapers that play this game, the Washington Times and the others. And then they'll create a little echo chamber, and pretty soon they all start baiting the mainstream media for allegedly ignoring the story they've pushed into the zeitgeist. And then pretty soon the mainstream media goes out and disingenuously takes a so-called objective sampling, and lo and behold, these RNC talking points are woven into the fabric of the zeitgeist...

The funny thing was that the echo chamber took hold of this statement and then called Gore Schizophrenic and insane.

The article is long but really worth looking at:

Quote:

I argue, moreover, that the creation of right-wing media, and of the strategies by which the right wing has penetrated, pressured, co-opted, and subdued the mainstream media into accommodating conservatism, was not an accident. Once upon a time, right-wing strategists, operatives, and financiers believed that they could never win political hegemony in the United States unless they won domination of the country's political discourse. Toward this end, a deliberate, well-financed, and expressly acknowledged communications and deregulatory plan was pursued by the right wing for more than thirty years -- in close coordination with Republican Party leaders -- to subvert and subsume journalism and reshape the national consciousness through the media, with the intention of skewing American politics sharply to the right. The plan has succeeded spectacularly.

I'll leave the final point for you to read.

Whether you are Conservative or Liberal you should read this and see what you think.

The author himself was a very eloquent Right-wing journalist for years and years and made lots of money as part of the 'Buckraking' machine . . . perhaps the conclusion that he comes to at the end of the article made him see things differently.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    it seems to want me to pay money to read the article. looked interesting, though
  • Reply 2 of 18
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

it seems to want me to pay money to read the article. looked interesting, though

No . . . they only want you to go through a small FLASH movie then you can go on to read the whole article . . . no emails no money and a flushable cookie
  • Reply 3 of 18
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Brock is a space case.

He's been "unstable" in a literary sense at least---this isn't his first hit piece.

His article could be 110% right, but coming from Brock it would be odd.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Just from the above exerpts he discredits himself when he says that Limbaugh is news - RUSH IS NOT NEWS HE IS OPPINION, if people look to him as thier only source of news they are crasy as for fox news, people seem to confuse content like O'Riley and Hannity and Colmes with real news, the fact is they are all OPINION, now the news blurbs at the top/bottom of the HR, in the whole 6 hrs of fox news that I have seen, they just tell you what is going on, it may go something like this:

John Kerry said today that he "voted for the $87 billion before (he) voted against it"

meanwhile Pres. Bush says he stands behind his sec. of defence, donald rumsfeld in the scandle surrounfing the prision abuse photos.

the Dow is up, the nasdaq is down, now back to the show (WHICH IS OPINION).

wheres the bias in that?
  • Reply 5 of 18
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

Brock is a space case.

He's been "unstable" in a literary sense at least---this isn't his first hit piece.

His article could be 110% right, but coming from Brock it would be odd.

But after readng the article, particularly after reading the part where the machine turns Gore into a 'nut-case', I have to wonder where you got that 'information' about Brock?

It seems to be the residue from the talking-points as digested by the specific media outlets, such as Limbaugh, and then watered down and re-articulated by the mainstream press . . .

I fully expected Brock to be dismisse