Mac vs. PC System Shootouts Updated

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
(Apologies in advance if this doesn't blong in this forum; it seems appropriate since the topic is current Apple hardware...)

As some of you may know, the System Shootouts have been hosted by The Mac Observer for the past year and a half, after being found at the old AAPLTalk site prior to that.

While I'm very thankful to TMO for giving the Shootouts a home, I'm pleased to announce that they now have their own dedicated website:

http://www.systemshootouts.org

Along with the brand-new URL, I'm also pleased to announce completely updated shootouts, including:

--Laptop Shootouts between Apple and Dell ($1,100, $1,300, $1,600, $2,000, $2,500 and $2,800)

--Educational Shootouts: $650 Desktops

--Educational Shootouts: $950 Laptops

--Special Shootouts: Apple 12" iBook vs. 12" PowerBook

--a fully-featured discussion board, and more!

Feel free to stop on by and tell me everything I'm doing wrong

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Now featuring the all-new iMac G5:

http://www.systemshootouts.org/

--updated $1,300, $1,900 and $2,300 Desktop Shootouts

--also featuring a fully-updated Apple Desktop Lineup comparison chart.

Comments welcome (but, as always, please read the FAQ first!!)
  • Reply 2 of 3
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I didn't go through every shootout but why are they using Dell as a comparison. I know they're market leaders, but they're stuff is just plain crap in terms of reliability.

I've always been impressed with HP stuff. If I had to get a Windows laptop, it would be HP. They're prices are actually quite competitive as well.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I didn't go through every shootout but why are they using Dell as a comparison. I know they're market leaders, but they're stuff is just plain crap in terms of reliability.

I've always been impressed with HP stuff. If I had to get a Windows laptop, it would be HP. They're prices are actually quite competitive as well.

Satchmo--

Thanks for your input. I'm actually the webmaster for the Shootouts; if you read the FAQ you'll find your answer, but in a nutshell, I *used* to match up Apple's offerings against *all* of the other major PC-makers: Dell, HP, Gateway, Sony, Toshiba, Compaq, *and* IBM.

Unfortunately, as the shootouts grew, the time factor needed to keep up also grew exponentially. Finally, I was at the point where I had to either chop it down to just one competitor or kill the site completely.

I chose to go with Dell specifically because of the reason you mentioned--because they *are* the market leader in terms of sheer sales and production efficiency. The whole point is to see how well Apple matches up even *with* its' disadvantages (ie, in terms of economy of scale, etc.).

If HP ever regains its' #1 foothold, of course, I'll consider changing the competitor to them

If you check the older shootouts (the Archives) you'll see what a behemoth I had to tame