WTF is DVD 9??

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi,

I told my dad to get the movie Hero on dvd cause he's in china for a conference.

Apparently there is a normal DVD 5 and a DVD 9 and the guy in the store says the DVD 9 is of higher quality.

At first I thought it was marketing on the part of the guy selling a pirated dvd, but apparently it's an original dvd and sold in a proper store.

Has any of you ever even heard of a DVD 9?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    DVD9 = dual-layer disc

You know how sometimes a movie will pause, just for a second halfway through? That's the DVD player switching layers. Double the layers means double the space which can be higher quality or more filler 'outakes' etc.

http://www.burnworld.com/howto/artic...dual-layer.htm
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    If the disc is coming from china you probably won't be able to watch it here anyway because it's a different region. Unless you have a region free DVD player.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dogcow

If the disc is coming from china you probably won't be able to watch it here anyway because it's a different region. Unless you have a region free DVD player.

I flashed the DVD drive on my other iBook, and I also have a dvd player that is all region playing. For some reason, dvd drives purchased in china seem to play all regions...what's the dilly yo with that?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    You know, I think that they label it DVD 9 so as to encourage you to buy original DVDs. I think that maybe the pirated ones they try to squeeze on a 4.7 gb (single sided) disk, cause most of the time they don't have special features and seem to (maybe) be of less quality. (kinda like those programs that allows you to condense a dvd to 4.7 gigs and then let you reburn.

Cause most original dvds today are in fact dual layer anyway, right?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

Cause most original dvds today are in fact dual layer anyway, right?

basically any DVD you have that wasn't made on a friend's (or your) computer is a dual layered disc.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    DVDs made in Asia usually don't have region encoded. Too bad the world doesn't think like the RIAA.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

basically any DVD you have that wasn't made on a friend's (or your) computer is a dual layered disc.

I see quite a number of commercially produced single layer DVDs. The new release big production ones (Lord of the Rings, Matrix, etc.) are dual layer, but often the older films or ones that aren't big productions are single layer. Of the DVDs I rent from Netflix, I'd say 1/3 are single layer.