The more important quality of a computer

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
For you what is the most important quality of a computer ?

Lots of answers possible.

For me at my home the answer is obvious : the most important quality is the silence. I am fed up of my G5 533 who is to noisy, sit in my bedroom next to my bed roaring like a daemon in the ears of my wife : "Dear could you switch off this damn computer ! "

If Apple ship a silent dual, I may order one. I am fed up of this noisy G4 533.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Well, my G4/400 with the radeon 8500 is not a silent child either. You're sunk unless you get one of the year 2000 iMacs
  • Reply 2 of 13
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

Well, my G4/400 with the radeon 8500 is not a silent child either. You're sunk unless you get one of the year 2000 iMacs

or a laptop. shhhh
  • Reply 3 of 13
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

For you what is the most important quality of a computer ?

Lots of answers possible.

For me at my home the answer is obvious : the most important quality is the silence. I am fed up of my G5 533 who is to noisy, sit in my bedroom next to my bed roaring like a daemon in the ears of my wife : "Dear could you switch off this damn computer ! "

If Apple ship a silent dual, I may order one. I am fed up of this noisy G4 533.

LOL! You can borrow my eMac for a few nights and you'll be begging for your G5 again. The G5 is the quietest power computer I've ever heard, and if you always have those fans spinning loudly, maybe you should turn up the AC.

EDIT: And the most important quality to me is stability. After 5 hours of editing, I need a computer that won't lose any data or interrupt my workflow. Yes I save often, but if you do any kind of motion graphics, you know how I feel.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    the powerbooks and ibooks are very quiet.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

LOL! You can borrow my eMac for a few nights and you'll be begging for your G5 again.

Actually, that's typo... he's got a G4 533 (he does say this towards the end). They're loud.

But yeah, I can't hear my 1.5GHz PowerBook unless the house is SILENT, and I try to hear it. My 1.25GHz eMac on the other hand... holy crap.

• Reply 6 of 13
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    check these guys out, if you line any exposed metal in the case with their dampener, it should help the noise thing:

http://www.dynamat.com/
  • Reply 7 of 13
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

But yeah, I can't hear my 1.5GHz PowerBook unless the house is SILENT, and I try to hear it. My 1.25GHz eMac on the other hand... holy crap.

So that is what's been keeping me up nights.

I can't overemphasize how nice it is to have a quiet machine. It's so easy to concentrate on your work when you're at the machine, and so easy to forget it's there when you want to.

That and, ironically, computers always seem more powerful to me when they're quiet. It's like they're saying that what they're doing requires no effort at all, and if they really wanted to cut loose....
  • Reply 8 of 13
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

So that is what's been keeping me up nights.

I can't overemphasize how nice it is to have a quiet machine. It's so easy to concentrate on your work when you're at the machine, and so easy to forget it's there when you want to.

That and, ironically, computers always seem more powerful to me when they're quiet. It's like they're saying that what they're doing requires no effort at all, and if they really wanted to cut loose....

It's like car, the more powerfull the engine is , the more quiet it seem to be.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Actually, that's typo... he's got a G4 533 (he does say this towards the end). They're loud.

Yes typo error. The G5 are quiet, especially the singles. I have configurate my server in my home, next to my G4 533 and the difference was amazing.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Yes typo error. The G5 are quiet, especially the singles. I have configurate my server in my home, next to my G4 533 and the difference was amazing.

My Dual 533 is virtually silent compared to any of my PCs.

But there are all in a rack so it doesn't really matter.

I would love a cube though!

Dobby.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    eric jeric j Posts: 43member
    The more important quality of a computer?

Together with its software - ease of use. When that condition is satisfied I'm prepared to suffer somewhat in other areas.

AND today's computer/software combinations fail to meet these criteria. Wake up people. Most of you here are highly computer-literate. There's a vast market out there for novices. It's not being adequately addressed.

The silent majority need only to send emails, download some simple stuff, write a few letters - and occasionally produce a table.

It's all possible with over-featured apps like Word and Excel. OVERKILL! Lots of folk don't even need color. A B/W screen is MUCH sharper than a color screen working in B/W.

My 2 cents worth.

Peace

ejc
  • Reply 12 of 13
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

It's like car, the more powerfull the engine is , the more quiet it seem to be.

Are you actually trying to make this thread degenerate into a car-analogy fest? How Dare You.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    The most important quality - pure, unadulterated power.

Getting it to behave the way you like comes a close second...

C.