Napster wins race to Europe

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
According to Spymac, Napster is now in Europe. This sucks.

"According to various reports, Napster has launched a European version of its download service, beating iTunes in a hotly-contested race to secure the European download market. Napster president Brad Duea said that music lovers have the choice of paying a £9.95 monthly subscription for unlimited streaming, or a pay per listen service, called Napster Light.

With the subscription service, users would need to purchase the desired track at the normal price of 99 pence per song or £9.95 per album. Users opting out of the monthly subscription would pay an additional .09 pence per track.

Napster claims that it has licence deals with the five biggest label, a music video catalogue and ad-free radio customizable stations. It has also said that its catalogue will increase to 700,000 songs in the month following the launch."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,415member
    Whoa why is the UK paying almost double for the tracks. That's pretty bunk. Perhaps they are getting the licensing terms that they so desperately want here in the states.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Has napster ever once generated a profit? If not, then perhaps 'wins the race' is an inadequate description of being first to market.

Wooo! they can start loosing money sooner.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Has napster ever once generated a profit? If not, then perhaps 'wins the race' is an inadequate description of being first to market.

Wooo! they can start loosing money sooner.

• Reply 4 of 8
    Hmmm... compressed audio files and nothing else for £9.95, or a packaged cd (often with additional tracks) delivered to your door for £8.99 from numerous online retailers.

Decisions decisions...
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Who likes UK music anyway....
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mike peelmike peel Posts: 185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Who likes UK music anyway....

I think it's more that those of us in the UK like music...

'Sides, we do have some good music. Just don't talk to us about eurovision song contests.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    All I can say is that its no wonder why everyone is in a big hurry to get to the UK to sell music. Almost double the price, what a rip. Either that or the music industry over there is just that much more greedy than its counterpart is over here is.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I'm less intrested in the music getting to the music to the UK as I am getting the music of a certain Fab Four *FROM* the UK over to the US. What is the bloody hold up?