Calling 1-800-QualityControl ?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/ipodminicolors.html

Am i missing something, or has apple been suffering in the quality control department lately. Oh and please, no sympathisers ok?, because with the margins they place on their products, it's well within their ability to assure a better quality control. ESPECIALLY when ur supposed to be selling a "premium product"

* G5 power supply probs

* Powerbook LCD probs

* iBook Logic Boards

* iPod Battery Fiaso

* iPod Mini Static

* iPod Mini Color Fading

This has been all in the past year ALONE. Unacceptable, sorry.

Wake up APPLE... u want to have fat margins, then at least ASSURE us a premium product.

- peace

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    1. In what percentage of Apple computers are these flaws present?

2. In what percentage of comparable units from other manufacturers are similar flaws present?

3. How has Apple handled fixing these flaws compared to how other manufacturers handle fixing similar flaws?

4. At what % margin are flaws OK, and at what % margin are flaws unacceptable? If Apple charged the same price but their margins were lower, would flaws be OK?

5. Do statistically accurate surveys of consumers show Apple to be better, worse, or at parity with other manufacturers when it comes to reliability?

I'm not defending Apple, but it is easy to criticize the design and manufacture of a complex product and rely on anecdotal evidence to determine if problems exist. And, of course, if Apple spends extra time on development QA, they are excoriated by rabid consumers who say "How come it takes you so long to ship product? You're falling behind! Oh, and by the way, cut your prices!"

Product development motto: Cheap. Fast. Reliable. Pick two.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    xtremextreme Posts: 27member
    <<< Product development motto: Cheap. Fast. Reliable. Pick two. >>>

i think apple clearly has picked the last two (+20% margins to prove against cheap) but has had a hard time keeping up in BOTH those fields in the last year.

*cough* iMac *cough* ripoff *cough*
  • Reply 3 of 5
    mike peelmike peel Posts: 185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xtreme

* iPod Mini Color Fading

Erm... Where did it say fading? Varying. I'm imagining it's due to the anodizing process or something, where they can't reliably produce exactly the same shade again and again. And to me, this is even good - each iPod mini will be a bit more individual, and not like every other one out there.

And remember - you'll hear a lot more complaints about Apple products here than any other, as this kind of place is where people come if they have problems. Someone buys a Sony item, finds it's faulty, takes it back and gets something else not bothering to tell many people. Someone buys an Apple item, finds its' faulty, hits the roof and tells the world.

I agree, things could be better. Things always can be better - nobody's perfect. Not even Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    xtremextreme Posts: 27member
    My problem is more of the fact that the inconsistencies and defects are happening THROUGHOUT the product line. I don't know about you, but to me that signifies SOMETHING is going wrong somewhere.

I'll state this again, with FAT margins, and selling a PREMIUM product they ought to make sure at least that everything works before being shipped out.

And in response to ur iPod mini statement, it doesn't matter if you personally think that its cool to have a mini in a different color than advertised, i would think that its uncool to ship something off the production line that isn't what you advertise. Is it really so hard to hire people to at least check these things before they go off?

Again my logic is that all the problems are happening THROUGHOUT the product line, which signifies something wrong OVERALL in the quality control / r&d department.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I to believe Apple's quality for there Non-Pro consumer products have slipped. I went through 5 crap iBooks before I vowed to never own another budget minded product from Apple. I owned two iPods, a 10 gig first Gen then a 20 gig second Gen. Battery lasted a little under 8 months for BOTH, will skip future releases! Powermacs, last forever, absolutly love my G5 and will continue to purchase. Powerbooks, week construction on the current models but they last if you don't move them to much. Monitors, overpriced, little features, but they last to. Software, OS is great, but it still needs a lot of work on that f.cking finder.