Is the support of a G5 debuting at MWSF 02 better now?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple is hyping it up more than ever. they must know that a good number of people are expecting a G5 or at least think there is a chance of a G5 debuting. would they be hyping it this much if they were going to dissapoint those people?

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: applenut ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>Apple is hyping it up more than ever. they must know that a good number of people are expecting a G5 or at least think there is a chance of a G5 debuting. would they be hyping it this much if they were going to dissapoint those people?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are a good number of "people" or "psychotic AI denizens with nothing better to do on New Year's Day" expecting G5s?

I think the general Mac population may have an inkling about the G5, but I don't know if they're expecting them.

I know most are expecting an iMac.

Virginia, I want to believe in the G5 for MWSF-- really I do. That would make it a wonderful life this 2002.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Your right: It seems odd if Apple isn't going to release the G5 with all that hype. But actually I think that Apple hasn't given this that much a thought.

Apple has a tendence to hype their new products (e.g. iPod - breaktrough ??? :confused: ). Me myself are as certain as one can be that the G5 won't be released based on the few facts we have been presented from Apple and Motorola.

And therefore I think that Apple is doing a major mistake because disappointed macfans equals angry macfans. But if Apple have new excellent digital device or the G4 gets a big jump in speed - e.g. 1.4 -1.8 Mhz, then it will not be that bad.

But hey... only time will tell (I hope I'm wrong, but it seems most unlikely)

Happy new-year
  • Reply 3 of 30
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I don't these slogans at Apple are targeted at the "general mac people".

and its not just us who are speculating on the G5. major news sites have picked up on reports and I'm sure techTV will say it again
  • Reply 4 of 30
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I don't know. Here's my take:

I think there are several types of Mac people, and people like us who hang out at Mac-centric forums, discuss the technical end of things, speculate about future products, etc. always look ahead and hold the bar high. Probably TOO high, truth be known.

But, in general, part of me thinks that we're the minority. A small, albeit vocal and savvy, chunk of the Mac-using, Apple-buying universe.

Part of me thinks Apple isn't talking to US (or other more "geeky" leaning segments) and are simply talking to the population at large, who do own iMacs and iBooks and stuff, but AREN'T into every little detail about the processors, video cards, etc.

I mean, believe it or not, some people buy a Mac and just use it for surfing, writing and listening to music and they've never once visited a site like this, they don't really go to maccentral.com or macnn.com.

The same way that I drive a Saturn or play Gibson guitars...but I'm not at their websites 5 times a day and I honestly couldn't tell you much about the products and goings-on at either company. I don't know, nor care, what new sedans or coupes Saturn has lined up for next year. Lots of people buy Macs, use them, love them, cherish them, etc. BUT they don't get into the whole culture and backstory of it all, nor do they think beyond to the "next big thing".

They just have a cute blue computer, and for them, that's simply enough.

Does that make sense?

I think for the regular-guy Mac user, the events of next Monday ARE huge (new iMac, really fast G4s, a new iApp and perhaps even a new digital device?).

To be honest, those are big deals even to ME. I would be completely satisfied with a fast, high-MHz G3-based iMac. And I don't really have any expectations or opinions on a G5 because that's not my bag.

I think Apple is looking at the overall, well-rounded consumer population out there (the iMac buyers, basically) and are speaking to them.

I think many of you are going to be let down on Monday, but the average non-geek will probably be thrilled to pieces.

That's my whole take on it.

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: pscates ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 30
    tmatma Posts: 76member
    It's not changed my guesses about MWSF, Just because Apple are hyping doesn't mean people like us at AI with our G5 predictions are right.

I think, like others have said, it's aimed more at computer/mac users as a whole - Most of which have probably never heard of a G5 anyway.

A new iMac and something unexpected will certainly be big things.. And updated G4's should stop us moaning a little.

btw... Its MWSF 02 not 01

TMA
  • Reply 6 of 30
    It's all about perspective.

• Reply 7 of 30
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Support for new G5. It's only rumours. It's pretty bad when you start believing in the rumours of the rumours. Fact is no one on these boards knows what will be released. Actually someone knows but they aren't going to tell. It's like someone telling you what your Christmas present is before Christmas, kinda kills it.

I'll be happy w/ a dual 1.2 Ghz DDR mac and the thought that a G5 will be available at some time. Even if the G5 is announced at MWSF it probably wouldn't be around til March. Even then I'd wait until the next upgrade and a drop in price. I already bought the first 733Mhz in Jan 2001 (actually didn't come til March) only to have it worth half of what I paid in August. It was worth it, given the upgrade from a beige G3 500Mhz (worth it in time saved using the Mac 733 for work).

But the reports are all fun, even Mastergater and Codename, something to do before MWSF. Enjoy the hype, what will be will be!
  • Reply 8 of 30
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    pscates,

i hear you, but I cant think that this is directed at a joe-mac, they would see it and think "um thats nice" and find something more interesting to do.

This is for US. Everyone who was disappointed at MWNW and the speculators, everyone who gets into a frenzy when Apple wipes its arse.

They really must have something really awesome to deliver, knowing that, if they were BSing, then the/us mac fanatics would bring the company too its knees after their joke
  • Reply 9 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>It's all about perspective.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Which is a rare commodity at AppleInsider Future Hardware.

SdC
  • Reply 10 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by MarcUK:

<strong>They really must have something really awesome to deliver, knowing that, if they were BSing, then the/us mac fanatics would bring the company too its knees after their joke</strong><hr></blockquote>

How is bitching and whining on a message board bringing ANYONE to their knees? Are some of you guys going to go up in a nighttime commando raid and demolish the Cupertino campus and kidnap Steve and hold him until a G5 is released?

Starting 417 threads next Monday afternoon about how "Apple SUCKS!!!" is hardly a kneel-inducing tactic.

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: pscates ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 30
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    MarcUK - I agree with you! The average Mac user doesn't go to Apple.com everyday. The average Mac user doesn't know the dates for MWSF, much less when Steve Jobs keynote is. So I'm expecting to be "blown away"!

Does that mean G5? I hope so because I want PowerMacs to be faster than any PC. There just may not be a G5 yet, there may not be G4 iMacs, there may not be 1Ghz iBooks, there may not be &lt;insert your desire here&gt;, but I expect SJ to announce something that will put a smile on all of our faces.

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: jwdawso ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 30
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    I didn't mean *us* in general. I meant everyone who attended MWSF expecting miracles. All the PR. All the stockbrokers. All the News. and of course there would be fallout in AI and the other boards. Mr Dell would be laughing his arse off at Apples stupid bacfire - IF it wasnt true
  • Reply 13 of 30
    I know. I was just being silly.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by TMA:

<strong>It's not changed my guesses about MWSF, Just because Apple are hyping doesn't mean people like us at AI with our G5 predictions are right.

I think, like others have said, it's aimed more at computer/mac users as a whole - Most of which have probably never heard of a G5 anyway.

A new iMac and something unexpected will certainly be big things.. And updated G4's should stop us moaning a little.

btw... Its MWSF 02 not 01

TMA</strong><hr></blockquote>

the people you describe don't give a crap about MWSF and they never go to the apple website daily.

face it: Apple is targetiing the "mac faithful" not the mac population in whole
  • Reply 15 of 30
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Like I've said in another thread if it was going to be another nothing event why would they draw so much attention to it?

For those of you who think the G5 rumors are flowing through the veins of just AI members you really should get out on the web more often. This rumor is everywhere. Expectations run high everywhere. Apple knows this so I really don't think they would try to pump it up even more if it was going to be anything less than the G5 or something just as big.

Oh Applenut, shouldn't that be 02? Not trying to pick , just a question.

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: jimmac ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 30
    thanks jimmac, that's exactly my point.

BTW, thanks for the tip on the typo. not used to this 2002 business yet
  • Reply 17 of 30
    In answer to a suggestion that if this turns out to be a bust Macusers would bring Apple to it's knees : Well, not so much bringing Apple to it's knees so much as one more log on the fire of feeling that Apple has let us down.

Apple really can't afford this now. It's core users are what keeps it afloat. If they start becoming jaded and distrusting of Apple to come through for them it wouldn't be good for Apple.

The reason MS is everywhere is because of opinion or word of mouth. An impression by the not too informed public that they are better some how ( or you had better get on the band wagon or get left behind ). Apple doesn't need an impression that pushes the public in the other direction ( I.E. you can't trust Apple or Apple is dieing they never come up with anything new and are falling behind ). The people at Apple aren't stupid so why hype something that's going to be nothing when ( given the current expectations ) would leave them with incredibly bad PR ?

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: jimmac ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Your welcome Applenut.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    As to the hype, they're also competing with publicity from CES and publicity is what sells product.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    tmatma Posts: 76member
    I didn't just mean AI members knowing about the G5, but I see your point..

I think maybe you're right and I am persuaded to change my mind - it does seem like its aimed at the 'Mac Faithful' rather than computer users in general.

It still doesn't present strong enough evidence for me to beleive there is a G5 coming, but I do believe we will be 'Blown away'.

I'm already excited about what tomorrows expo msg will be on apple.com! (thats if it doesn't go offline)

Come on Steve, drop us some hints!

TMA

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: TMA ]</p>