Mail Qualms

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Okay, so Apple's Mail program is giving me a ton of grief all of a sudden. Yesterday I noticed that I had not gotten an email from anyone for at least 4 days. Anyways, I usually keep Mail running in the background and it checks each minute under 2 accounts for mail. My second address is working fine, but my primary one all of a sudden will not connect. If I use my webmail account which I set up to access it via pop 3, it works fine. So, I know it is Mail simply not wanting to connect. I think I remember reading somewhere about issues such as this, but even a restart is not fixing my problem. The second account is my college account, and it is working fine for receiving, but will not let me send for some reason. So right now I am using my webmail (for my primary acct.), but if anyone can provide some insights that would be great. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    Mail.app will occasionally change an account to "offline" status if it is unable to connect to the mail server or if that server rejects your account name or password while checking for new mail (often due to a server or network glitch, not because of anything you've done).

You can check if an account is set to offline by going to Mail's mailbox drawer (View -> Show Mailboxes, if it isn't already open) and click on the "On My Mac" triangle to show your mail accounts. Accounts that are online are displayed in bold type. To change an account's online status, highlight it in the mail drawer and either right-click or control-click and select "Take Account Online". If the only option you see is "Take Account Offline", then the account is already online and your problem lies elsewhere, perhaps in the settings under Mail -> Preferences -> Accounts.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Ahh thanks! I should have mentioned that I did have the drawer opened and it showed that it was offline, but I had no clue about clicking it to take it online. Thanks a bunch!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    i've been having a problem with mail.app lately, i am receiving emails that i got 2-5 days ago, duplicates, i mean, i have the originals, but it is giving me an extra 2 of them sometimes, i get home, and have 2000+ in my box to delete, it may just be the server is burping up old messages, but i dunno.