iPod skipping several songs ahead randomly

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My 15 gig third-generation iPod had been working smooth as silk until very recently, when a couple problems cropped up at about the same time.

First of all, sometimes I will turn it on, and then right in the middle of about the second song I hear, it will stop playing, and then immediately skip about 6 or 7 songs ahead. I'm almost always listening to my "Favorites" playlist on shuffle; this hasn't happened when I've listened to a whole album, but I have it on shuffle so much that that could be a coincidence, since the skipping happens almost randomly.

Anyway, when it skips ahead, I will try to get it back to the song I was listening to. I noticed yesterday that if I only go back one or two songs, the iPod won't play them. Instead, it will briefly show the titles on the screen, working its way back to the song it skipped ahead to. Weird.

Also, the amount that it skips ahead seems very close to 25 minutes, which is the size of the iPod's memory buffer, if I remember correctly.

The second problem is that the iPod isn't mounting and unmounting properly when I connect it to my Mac, either via the dock or just with the cable. It will start up iTunes and update (if needed) but then the iPod will just keep flashing the "do not disconnect" message. Until recently I could at least eject the iPod via iTunes or the Finder. That would at least let me disconnect the iPod without getting a warning message, though it also forced me to disconnect and reconnect the iPod if I wanted to update it again. But last night, when I hit the eject button, I got a message saying that the iPod had files still in use by another program. Quitting iTunes and any other program that would access the iPod did not address this. Sometimes, but rarely, everything works fine.

I have reinstalled the software on the iPod several times now. Two nights ago I ran Disk Warrior on it (it detected no problems), but it still skipped on me last night. I have no idea yet if Disk Warrior solved the mounting/unmounting issues. I'm ready to take it to my local Apple Store, but I wanted to see if anyone had any similar experiences or advice first. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Oh man. I have that (or something like that). My iPod doesn't play the song your select. It will wait a few seconds and play the next one on my playlist. I have to press back twice to get it to play the first one.

However, lately I have been having more serious problems and right now as I type this, I have a box from Apple next to my keyboard waiting for me to sent in my iPod for repairs.

Try to reformat/reinstall. If that doesn't work, try an apple store.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I got the same problem. This started after I applied the latest update to my iPod. I am thinking about uninstalling the update and see if that corrects the problem.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    tetzel1517tetzel1517 Posts: 204member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

I got the same problem. This started after I applied the latest update to my iPod. I am thinking about uninstalling the update and see if that corrects the problem.

Which of the two problems I mentioned are you referring to? Or have both been happening to you?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

I am thinking about uninstalling the update and see if that corrects the problem.

I had the problem both before and after, but not very often. My iPod is farily trouble free. I wonder if having other files like notes with News or small files you add to the iPod make it mess up more.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    I too am having the problem of the iPod stopping halfway thru a song, skipping several, and then playing one at random.

I am also having the problem of when I press play, it quite often skips to song 2 and starts playing, I need to hit back twice to hear the first song. I find this mostly happens if I press play and then lock it straight away.

Les.