the International Institute of Strategic Studies: "18,000 potential al-Qaida at large

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I guess the WOT is going well:

ARTICLE

well . . . maybe not . . .

From the article:
Quote:

And the Iraq conflict ??has arguably focused the energies and resources of al-Qaida and its followers while diluting those of the global counterterrorism coalition that appeared so formidable" after the Afghan intervention, the survey said.

The U.S. occupation of Iraq brought al-Qaida recruits from across Islamic nations, the study said. Up to 1,000 foreign Islamic fighters have infiltrated Iraqi territory, where they are cooperating with Iraqi insurgents, the survey said.

Quote:

The IISS said its estimate of 18,000 al-Qaida fighters was based on intelligence estimates that the group trained at least 20,000 fighters in its camps in Afghanistan before the United States and its allies ousted the Taliban regime. In the ensuing war on terror, some 2,000 al-Qaida fighters have been killed or captured, the survey said.

Al-Qaida appears to have successfully reconstituted its operations by dispersing its forces into small groups and through working with local allies, such as the Great Eastern Islamic Raiders' Front in Turkey, the report said.

??Al-Qaida is the common ideological and logistical hub for disparate local affiliates, and bin Laden's charisma, presumed survival and elusiveness enhance the organization's iconic drawing power," it said.

Hmm?

I must say . . it seems that maybe I'm just 'Bush bashing' . . . oh well, tant pis pour Bush!

Groverat . . . any thoughts? . . . I am curious as to where you are standing these days.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    When I read this this morning I was a little confused, is it being implied that al qaida hopes to mobilize an offensive with these potential 18k?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

When I read this this morning I was a little confused, is it being implied that al qaida hopes to mobilize an offensive with these potential 18k?

I think what is being implied is that AQ is doing what they planned all along, especially after the invasion of Iraq, which Ossama practically begged us to do.

What that means is that they are operating like a decentered organism: that whole 'new paradigm' thing: like networked computers on the web and loose seemingly dissasociated cells, or like gophers in that gopher-bash game . . . they are probably operating exactly within the parameters they set for themselves: dissolve into the masses, and prepare more terror.

I hope that this is wrong, but to me, it highlights the need to get to work Internationally and in strong affiliation with police and intelligence agencies around the world.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

I think what is being implied is that AQ is doing what they planned all along, especially after the invasion of Iraq, which Ossama practically begged us to do.

What that means is that they are operating like a decentered organism: that whole 'new paradigm' thing: like networked computers on the web and loose seemingly dissasociated cells, or like gophers in that gopher-bash game . . . they are probably operating exactly within the parameters they set for themselves: dissolve into the masses, and prepare more terror.

I hope that this is wrong, but to me, it highlights the need to get to work Internationally and in strong affiliation with police and intelligence agencies around the world.

That's what I was worried about.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

There is no 'enemy' in an organised 'James Bond villain' type of way. No massive mafia-like octopus, no underground evil-empire...

"The game is called Find Your Adversary. The adversary's game plan is to persuade you he does not exist."

Just some lovely paranoia from William S. Burroughs to brighten your day.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Second hit on a google search:

http://pbskids.org/lions/wolf/

Too funny.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Of course the warheads will say Saddam would be the threat and in a way they're right - we still would be terrified then by the 45-minute WMD b that 'had to be dealt with'.

(hey look a link I don't have to subscribe to see!)

http://www.iiss.org/confStatement.php?confID=3

Apparently the IISS which you guys are placing a lot of faith in did. But no they're probably wrong since Bush Lied? about everything. Nevermind then, carry on with the criticism sans solution as per usual.

Hey Plfamm which IISS document was Salon quoting? I'd like to read the whole thing...
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by dviant

(hey look a link I don't have to subscribe to see!)

http://www.iiss.org/confStatement.php?confID=3

Apparently the IISS which you guys are placing a lot of faith in did. But no they're probably wrong since Bush Lied? about everything. Nevermind then, carry on with the criticism sans solution as per usual.

Hey Plfamm which IISS document was Salon quoting? I'd like to read the whole thing...

From the article:

"Arundel House, London - Monday 9 September 2002"

and its Wollfy . . . . 'nuf said!
  • Reply 8 of 15
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Thinking.

took three years to plan 9|11. Correct?

Been three years.

It's a stretch...I hope.

• Reply 9 of 15
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Ok - it's getting farcical now. Except we shouldn't be laughing.

Ashcroft issued yesterday a 'Wanted Poster' (always a good one) of the guys he wants people to think are planning the 'Summer of Terror'. Here they are:

Problem is that 2 of them are already in the custody of the feds.

Aafia Siddiqui has been illegally detained for over a year (link from Apr 2003).

Amer el-Maati is listed as 'incarcerated' on Tracking the Threat - hardly a left-wing agitprop vehicle really.

So, again - are they lying (and if so why ?) or are they just incredibly stupid ?

the last portion of the article states that Siddiqui was released and not charged. I have in the past wondered if the government would detain the individuals on a hush hush basis to track changes in the "chatter" in the hopes of finding solid leads.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    I have to admit that at first I thought that your doubt about the 'new fears' was foolhardy.

now it is amazing to see that even Republicans themselves are not only questioning but disproving this new PRESS RELEASEd scare!!

It is SHAMELESS!!!!

and not only that: imagine IF there really had been a rise in 'chatter' . . . then we would have seen an exact replay of the the rise in chatter and subsequent LACK of RESPONSE on the part of the administration . . . since there was no actual rise in response levels being put into play . . as Pre-911 !!!
  • Reply 11 of 15
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Apparently it even came as a shocking surprise to the Department of Homeland Security

Ridge. He was Govenor of Pennsyvania. Didn't remember that until he was hand plucked for this position. This guy is dull in an evil way. My own "terror alert" shot up quick when I heard that news of that promotion.

As I'm stating in another thread. No "new" news. Move on. I'm going to keep looking for a real job to pay the rent and survive...all this is "chatter" to me too.

Why didn't they just reprint/repost their Osama poster?

/icouldhavedesignedabetterposterthanthattoo

• Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

That's a good question - what happened to Osama in all this ?

statute of limitations ran out \
  • Reply 13 of 15
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

Ridge. He was Govenor of Pennsylvania. Didn't remember that until he was hand plucked for this position. This guy is dull in an evil way. My own "terror alert" shot up quick when I heard that news of that promotion.

As I'm stating in another thread. No "new" news. Move on. I'm going to keep looking for a real job to pay the rent and survive...all this is "chatter" to me too.

Why didn't they just reprint/repost their Osama poster?

/icouldhavedesignedabetterposterthanthattoo

You're absolutely right. This is old news. Why did the admin dredge it up then? My opinion is because they need knees to shake and quake in fear again because Bush tanked another speech. Deflect attention form Bush...
  • Reply 14 of 15
    the thing that needs to be repeated-chatter is how old the news is that this administration would pass-on old news as emergency new news!!!!

in other words: keep it new-news that their 'new-news' is rehashed old -news or it will be taken as news and then the news will be Bush's new polls-news . . . I knew it!