Problems with Adware at MacRumors

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am sure that many of the people here also read MacRumors. I have been having major problems with it today. It changed my homepage and installed spyware on my PC at work. Anyone else experiece this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pjkelnhofer

I am sure that many of the people here also read MacRumors. I have been having major problems with it today. It changed my homepage and installed spyware on my PC at work. Anyone else experiece this?

hahahah

it won't be long before AI's ads do the same thing...

install adaware www.lavasoft.du and spybot www.safer-networking.org (1.3 is REALLY good, reload the page until you get through-it is THAT popular)

and make sure you keep them up-to-date just like you would with your virus scanner...
  • Reply 2 of 12
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Hey, thanks to the link for Spybot - me like!

Cheers,

C.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Concord

Hey, thanks to the link for Spybot - me like!

Cheers,

C.

I actually have it already at home, I was wondering if anyone had the same problem with MacRumors today.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Hmmm... no problems here. Didn't change my home page and didn't install anything by the looks of it.

C.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Hmmm... no problems here. Didn't change my home page and didn't install anything by the looks of it.

C.

Are you accessing it from a Mac or PC, I had no problems on my Mac at home but problems at two different PC's at work.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Accessing from a Win XP Pro machine at home...

C.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Accessing from a Win XP Pro machine at home...

C.

yeah, this is after installing adaware and spybot right?

the most recent version of spybot does a LOT to stop the programs from running in the first place... (teatime)
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

[i]Originally posted by Paul:[/]

yeah, this is after installing adaware and spybot right?

I went to MacRumors once this morning (~5:30am), before installing Spybot, and, of course, again after. So, yes, there could have been something that only recently changed on MR and now Spybot just nerfs it.

C.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    basscatbasscat Posts: 8member
    I admin a network of about 200 pcs, and in my experience the best things to remember to make surfing passable are:

Mozilla Firefox as browser, Spybot S&D (1.3 is indeed a great improvement on a great program to begin with! And you can d/l from www.download.com without a wait [ymmv]), and update everything daily (SB and whatever antivirus you choose, we use AVG from Grisoft and have been pleased).
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by basscat

we use AVG from Grisoft and have been pleased).

hey would you mind posting a bit more about them? I just recently heard about them... how do they stack up to norton and mcafee? can it be installed on top of either?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    basscatbasscat Posts: 8member
    We use AVG6 Pro, which is basically the same as the current free version, I think. It is updated frequently, sometimes daily, and does a good job. Sometimes you need to boot into safe mode to disinfect, but I assume you would with the others to get rid of processes that load with a normal boot. I haven't had much experience with either of the others, but I would only run one antivirus at a time, from what research I have done on the matter.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    What ever the problem was, it seems to be gone now. MacRumors was definitely the only site I went to on one of the computers that got infected yesterday. I will try to convince the IT guy at work they need better anti-adware precautions.

Thanks everyone.