Does AppleCare cover the battery?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
According to iBatt, my battery's capacity is dropping at an ungodly rate. It held it's capacity at 4.20 Ah for many months, but during the last week, it dropped steadily down to 3.90 Ah. from an A rating to a C rating. And I just used it as I normally would, unplugging it and using it down to low a couple times a week. So is it possible to get a replacement if the capacity still keeps dropping at a crazy rate?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    if the battery still works (IE you can unplug the machine for at least 10 minutes) and the battery is more to a year old... they WILL NOT replace it... the battery is considered a "consumable" part and is NOT covered under AppleCare unless there is serious abnormal usage...

if the battery does not work at all AND the machine is less then a year old then they should replace it... but I'm fairly sure you are going to have to be a bit aggressive for them to do so...

my battery crapped out fairly recently with very little warning (I could not unplug the machine at all, even when closed).... I went to the AppleStore and sent it in to apple to make sure the system wasn't messed up, but they basically said the battery was dead (eventhough iBatt gave it a D- rating, NOT F) and that I should buy a new one... (my machine was purchased on Jag Day back in August 02-but was a refreshed (read: display model-the paint was peeling like crazy) machine so the battery was probably used way back in June or July when the DVI models were released...)

didn't really have much of a choice... but now I currently use my PB without a battery and the new one is still in the box it came in...

what is the best way to store a new battery so that it keeps its charge?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    ichiban_jayichiban_jay Posts: 660member
    ok I went to my store. they said that they would send it in, along with my powerbook (has screen problems) and they would give it a battery test. Basically they tax the battery at a "normal" consumption rate, and to pass the battery must last 3 hours. If it doesn't, I get a new battery, if it does, it still good. But I think I won't pass, because running nothing, the estimator said 2:53.

Best of luck I also purchased apple care, so now I can bother them through the phone