How long will silver/aluminum/stainless be fashionable?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Primarily regarding notebooks, screen displays and electronic gadgets. But this whole stainless steel/silver look has carried over to everything from user interfaces, kitchen appliances, and of course cars.

I was speaking to a television salesman last weekend and he says that a lot of the electronics out there will soon return to black finish. He says it's just a trend. Hmm...pretty long trend if you ask me.

Do you see a day in the near future of Apple going back to black in their laptops and maybe even in their desktops?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I'm not sure I'd say it's a trend as much as that is the way the market shifted. It will shift to something different and then eventually back again. I'm waiting for wood grain

I like the aluminum of my PowerBook...still people say it looks very nice.

Black goes with metal very well.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Only if it's fuligin.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    I think the main reason TV's and whatnot went to silver is because dust doesnt really show against the silvery finish.

My problem is a silver TV doesn't go with my wooden finish speakers and my current (black) TV sucks. So hopefully this salesman is right because I'm waiting for a high def black TV with no silver trim... got my eye on plasma but I'm not sure, even with their drastically reduced prices, I'm worried about burn in or it running out after 10,000 hours or whatever it is.

LCD TV's look okay but I dont think they look as good as plasma and they are really expensive.

What I really want is a 32" black, HD, CRT TV like that Sony one but without the silver trim.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

I was speaking to a television salesman last weekend and he says that a lot of the electronics out there will soon return to black finish. He says it's just a trend. Hmm...pretty long trend if you ask me.

What a noob. Silver was all the rage in the 70s. I remember my step father having a Silver Sansui stereo. Old Pioneers and plenty of American brands all had Siver product. Then Black became hot. Champaign and other colors have taken ahold but Black and Silver are the two most dominant colors that cycle back and forth. Black will be back someday.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    only reason i hate black is that it shows dust too damn quickly. the interference caused by the reflections and brushed surfacing of aluminum finishes make it really versatile.