Pictures of 17" PowerBook vs... ?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I see that Sony has a new 17" widescreen laptop with very similar specs to Apple's 17" PowerBook but had to laugh when it came down to the size and weight. Not only is it almost twice as thick but it weighs a full pound more... without battery. Yes, they actually weigh it without a battery. With the battery it adds another 3/4 of a pound.

So this got me thinking. Does anyone have side by side shots of the 17" PowerBook vs 17" PC laptops? If you do post them here!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    thedustinthedustin Posts: 176member
    Who cares!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Yeah, that seems to be the attitude lately. There are very few Apple fans left here.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    thedustinthedustin Posts: 176member
    Who cares as in the PCs are so fvcking inferior it is sickening, especially in looks!

_thedustin
  • Reply 4 of 8
    When it comes to 17" laptops, nobody makes one better than Apple. Have you seen the Toshiba 17"? That thing looks like a fu**ing fishtank!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

When it comes to 17" laptops, nobody makes one better than Apple. Have you seen the Toshiba 17"? That thing looks like a fu**ing fishtank!

Aren't paper weights supposed to be big and heavy, these windows 17 inchers are great for their eventual use...
  • Reply 6 of 8
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    I have to agree- more 17" PC Notebooks (if they should be even called that) are huge. I don't understand the point of such a huge portable. At least apple's 17" is somewhat portable...

I just upgraded to a 15" powerbook from a 12" iBook and there is a huge size difference. Its fun to take out the iBook once in a while and see how small it is... Anyone have any ideas how to use the 12" iBook? The screen is semi-broken (dims and brightens at will) on it and I hate to leave it sitting there doing nothing.

What's that networking (xgrid or something) from apple that allows idle computers on the network to distribute their processing?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member

- Xidius
  • Reply 8 of 8
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    My real problem with any 17" book, including Apple's, is that the potential for screen damage seems significant. That's one pretty big thin surface area. The outer casing are sure to flex. We can't say much for the base of those PC's, big and fat, but sometimes I think there's a little extra thickness built into the lid, just in case.

Apple's seem precariously thin in the lid. Though the powerbooks are unquestionably stiffer. I'll often flex the LCD lid on a display notebook, just to see what kind of protection is on offer. Some seem absurdly weak. A little flexion can probably keep it from cracking, but some of these models look like they could be damaged with just a bump from the side, as may happen if you set them down in a bag with other none flat packed items in it.

I think the 15-15.4 range is about as big as I'd go. The 12, by contrast, is a rock.