Democracy Version 9.0

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
All of the questions being raised about the U.S. "occupation" of Iraq has frustrated me to no end. I recently heard a quote from a source I cannot currently site that went something like this...

"The attempts being made in Iraq to implement a Democratic government will not be successful in any short period of time. We (the U.S.) assume we can oust their dictator who has kept their people living in fear for decades and just implement Democracy 9.0. when the United States was forming its government and developing its laws the country was literally like the wild west. You cant expect these people to just accept our version of what a democracy should be. There needs to be time for growth and acceptance of the policys that are adopted."

this time that is needed requires individuals to maintain a sense of law until the people of Iraq can do this themselves. So this so called "Occupation" is necessary, if not by the U.S. then by someone else who can give the people time to implement their own practices. if we were to just get out of Iraq and leave it in shambles the world (mostly the U.S.) would have accomplished nothing more than destroying a country.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    You can remove the quotes from 'occupation' for a start. You may not like it, but it's an occupation. The coalition invaded and is now occupying Iraq. It is the force of occupation, not so-called, or watered-down 'occupation.' That's what the UN calls it. That's what the US calls it.

Deal with it.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    staphbabystaphbaby Posts: 353member
    Hmm... perhaps if they'd done something wacky like received multilateral support for their action from the UN, and a UN mandate, there wouldn't be so great a perception amongst Iraqis that the US was imposing their own agenda on them?

Still, it's possibly not too late. I say make Iraq into a UN mandate ASAP. Allowing some serious debate amongst the Iraqis themselves on a constitution would be nice too.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

You can remove the quotes from 'occupation' for a start. You may not like it, but it's an occupation. The coalition invaded and is now occupying Iraq. It is the force of occupation, not so-called, or watered-down 'occupation.' That's what the UN calls it. That's what the US calls it.

Deal with it.

Spare me! whats your point? lets call it ""Occupation"" SO WHAT! we would be doing the Iraqi people an enormous injustice by leaving now. Everyone who feels that just pulling out is the right thing to do doesnt see the reality that just turning the other way and pretending things dont exist just creates bigger problems. Frankly I dont care what you like to call it, its necessary.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by staphbaby

Hmm... perhaps if they'd done something wacky like received multilateral support for their action from the UN, and a UN mandate, there wouldn't be so great a perception amongst Iraqis that the US was imposing their own agenda on them?

Still, it's possibly not too late. I say make Iraq into a UN mandate ASAP. Allowing some serious debate amongst the Iraqis themselves on a constitution would be nice too.

I agree completely
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Playmaker

I agree completely

Hooray! I win!!

lalalalalalalalalalalala
  • Reply 6 of 9
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by staphbaby

Hooray! I win!!

lalalalalalalalalalalala

. . . lucky!

I'm jealous!

• Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

. . . lucky!

I'm jealous!

bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!

lol.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Playmaker

Spare me! whats your point? lets call it ""Occupation"" SO WHAT! we would be doing the Iraqi people an enormous injustice by leaving now. Everyone who feels that just pulling out is the right thing to do doesnt see the reality that just turning the other way and pretending things dont exist just creates bigger problems. Frankly I dont care what you like to call it, its necessary.

Harald wasn't commenting on whether the U.S. should stay or leave Iraq. He was merely pointing out (and rightfully so) that it is infact an occupation. It was preceded by a military attack and now american forces are occupying Iraqi soil. It's not a "so-called" occupation that you seem to imply when putting it in quotes. It's an occupation. Call it what it is.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by KANE

Harald wasn't commenting on whether the U.S. should stay or leave Iraq. He was merely pointing out (and rightfully so) that it is infact an occupation. It was preceded by a military attack and now american forces are occupying Iraqi soil. It's not a "so-called" occupation that you seem to imply when putting it in quotes. It's an occupation. Call it what it is.

I appoligize if I took his post out of context. Perhaps I should have deemphasized occupation (by leaving the quotes out sorry Harald) but I feel that the point I was trying to make has now been lost. DAMN YOU QUOTATION MARKS!!!

Seriously my point was less about occupation and more about the need for some authority to be present until Iraq can handle this for itself. If there was less focus on the US standing on their soil and more focus on why we are there. I do agree that a little help from the UN would be benificial.