Try the Call of Duty demo yet?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
This game is excellent. It requires a 867 MHz G4, but I am getting great performance out of my G4/400, 704 MB RAM, Radeon 8500.

It has a fulfilling sense of teamwork in single player and it's just plain fun. Take a look:

http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=18195

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Funny...I was just about to start a thread on this. As a big fan of the Medal of Honor Series, I have to say that this Demo makes me think that Call of Duty may be much better.

Performance on my PB 1.25/512MB/64VRAM was excellent. There is no option to adjust resolution in the demo though. The game seems more realistic than MOH...with everything from more detailed background, to bullet impacts, to character movment. Even he machine gun fire seems smoother and more realistic.

"mmmmm" says my credit card. Then again, I do want to try MOHAA Breakthrough as well.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    There is an option to change the resolution. Look under options > graphics

I was truly expecting a disco-ish slideshow, but amazingly it was pretty smooth. The planes flew overhead with no problem, mortar explosions were fluid and shell shock remained fluid also.

I was also amazed at the little details -- like my teammates peering over corners. I can only hope BF1942 remains this fluid, but I dont think it will be.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Just downloaded it - actually it took me several hours to get it.

Looks good, but the whole "get shot a bunch of times but just run over a health kit and you're good as new" thing is still a turnoff to me.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Well, you could just avoid the health kits to make it more realistic :P
  • Reply 5 of 11
    A little tip, hold down command while opening the application, to get a list where you can choose refresh-rates!
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

Well, you could just avoid the health kits to make it more realistic :P

Haha. Maybe I'll just DO that!

[edit. I just played it again, and realized I was on the easiest setting. When I change it to regular setting, I get killed as soon as I run out somewhere there's action. That's what I like. \
  • Reply 7 of 11
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Haha. Maybe I'll just DO that!

[edit. I just played it again, and realized I was on the easiest setting. When I change it to regular setting, I get killed as soon as I run out somewhere there's action. That's what I like. \

You should change your name to Hard Core!
  • Reply 8 of 11
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I played Call of Duty a couple months ago on PC, got hooked for about 2 weeks. Now, I never really played many WW2 games before CoD, but I have played many first person shooters, this was the most fun I'd had with a first person shooter in a long time!

Totally fresh, fun, and addicting. I didn't play single player at all, just online, but watching my brother play single player, it did look pretty interesting.

Great game.

I'm glad it made it to the mac, now we just need Savage* to make it!

*by far, my favorite computer game right now, and has been for almost a year.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I got 45% the way though on veteran. One mistake and you're dead.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    Downloaded the demo, played it through on "Normal" skill level, played it on "Veteran", then bought the game. It reminds me of a combination of MoH and Rainbow six, which to me is pretty much the highest compliment I could pay... it remains to be seen if the full game is as engaging as the demo, but I suspect so.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Totally fresh, fun, and addicting. I didn't play single player at all, just online, but watching my brother play single player, it did look pretty interesting.

I've only played online shooting games a few times, I think it was Quake III, maybe UT, and I always would get immediately killed. Everyone else seemed so much better than me, and I wasn't sure how or why, so I stopped playing.

Anyway this CoD seems made for people who have watched Band of Bros.