Sony's ineptness cost them 100 Billion in revenue

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
So says this article

Howard Stringer, 62, Sony's vice chairman and head of the company's U.S. divisions, says executives were so concerned about music piracy that they couldn't agree with designers on the kind of player to create.

Buying Columbia was pretty stupid honestly. It's a double edged sword. Owning content means Sony can push formats that they like but as this article points out the Civil War within' the company has cost them dearly.

As you can see from this Article Sony ruling a market is no longer a guarantee. In fact companies like Sharp and Samsung are nipping at Sony's heels and even ahead in many areas. Sony it's time to start focus on making cool stuff. They better hope that Blu Ray doesn't fail.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Blu Ray is pretty much dead.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    They're almost dumber than Apple with their proprietary crap like Memory Sticks and ATRAC. Duh. Get MP3/MP4 and put it on a freakin' Compact Flash. And in terms of this Blu Ray business, just go HD-DVD.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Well, the DVD Forum has backed HD-DVD which kinda sucks because HD-DVD is evolutionary whereas Blu-Ray is revolutionary.

In the long run Blu-Ray would be better for consumers, but it's not backwards compatible with existing players, so you'd have to buy a new one.

I know the guys who are developing Blu-Ray, but I havent talked to them in a while. I usually only see them at lunch.

I should stroll over there and see what the latest news is.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Blu Ray would be really cool if it supported more than MPEG2 as the codec. I'd love to see BR support AVC or even WM9. The would be good for about 6 hrs of HD video on one disc

Sony gaffed on the minidisc bad. That was their chance at becoming the next walkmen and they failed.

Then they created such horrible and restrictice magicgate software to thwart piracy that no one wanted even the Minidics.

This is the natural evolution of the industry. Large companies will eventually do something stupid to cost themselves. It's important to have a competitive market.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    I have read the Sony didnt push the mini disc outside of Japan because of competition from Philips DCC. Well that finally died, and mini disc has managed to sneak in the last few years as a lost cost alternative to an ipod.

I own a mini disc player, and rather like it. However, I wont buy another one because atrac makes it v hard for anyone to write software to support them.

I think that Sony missed the best opportunity for mini discs. The playstation. It should have used mini discs instead fo cds. The smaller size of minidiscs makes it a trade off, but it would have made mini discs a household format, instead of an interesting also ran.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

I have read the Sony didnt push the mini disc outside of Japan because of competition from Philips DCC. Well that finally died, and mini disc has managed to sneak in the last few years as a lost cost alternative to an ipod.

I own a mini disc player, and rather like it. However, I wont buy another one because atrac makes it v hard for anyone to write software to support them.

I think that Sony missed the best opportunity for mini discs. The playstation. It should have used mini discs instead fo cds. The smaller size of minidiscs makes it a trade off, but it would have made mini discs a household format, instead of an interesting also ran.

Nah they both came out the same time I've owned both a MD and a DCC. Sony and Philips generally form a great team together, not so sure they are as strong alone.

Sony= Leader in Optical Formats

Philips= Excellent in audio algorithms and compression.

MD has of course ATRAC which still doesn't sound good

ATRAC get's demolished

Philips had PASC coding it had less compression than MD and was generally regarded as superior.

Neither company did well on their own. Philips tried to shackle us with their old and decrepid "Philips Cassette" and Sony tried to woo us with cool little optical discs that held an inferior codec.

Luckily they both got smart and teamed up again for SACD. We'll see how that goes.

I agree...Sony screwd the pooch on MD. I'm pissed I spent hundreds on my first MD deck. I wanted car units and MD boomboxes but they never got cheap.

Sony is really quite pathetic right now. They laid off 20 thousand workers worldwide because of their recent screwups(Digital8, MicroMV, MD). They haven't had a hit in years. Samsung and Sharp are going to eat their TV profits. Panasonic is gonna eat their lunch in Camcorders if Canon doesn't first.

They really need to get on the ball before "Sony's the best" become an old relic from the past.