Ethernet connection between OS 9.1 and 10.3

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is there some trick to getting 2 computers with their respective OS's to talk? I just want to share a folder and transfer some files, but I can't seem to get it working. I'm supposed to be using a crossover cable for the Ethernet link, right? (Yeah, this sort of stuff should be a nobrainer on a Mac, of course. I feel pretty stupid! )

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Most of the newer computers can auto-detect your network cabling and adjust for it automatically. I have a hunch your problem may be a software thing like your IP addresses are not configures correctly or appletalk (or whatever service you use) is off.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Well, I've experienced some success, since then. I suspect a side issue with a flakey ethernet jack on my old BW G3. I have been able to get the OSX machine to mount network drives from the OS9 machine. However, the OS9 machine is consistently unable to mount any network drives from the OSX machine. It is able to see the OSX machine on the network, but entering in user and password always fails with this message:

(I/O error.) "-1072"

So does anyone have an idea what this means/could mean more specifically (other than I have an I/O error- duh )

I have tried this with a straight and crossover cable, with the same result.

...and after all this trouble, I am graced with the reality that file transfer over this ole ethernet (the BW machine likely being the culprit by virtue of its hardware era, of course) is really not speedy, at all. Oh well... (...or possibly it is also a consequence of Appletalk? Should I be configuring this somehow such that Appletalk is not used and left deactivated?)

So does anybody have any further thoughts?