iPod pc/mac.......

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
two questions:::

1. Is apple planning to release any way to re-format the windows iPod [fat32 formatted] to HFS so it can be used in macs?

2. what's this I hear about you can only sync your iPod to ONE mac [master sync?]? And if you want to sync to any other macs, you have to erase all of the contents? does this mean you can't transfer files from other macs onto your iPod?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I think it's still the same hardware. The PC iPod should be able to mount on a Mac but the other way around might be harder. As far as formatting goes...you can probably just format with a normal drive formatting utility but I'm not sure. Then you you could probably reset your iPod somehow...

You can move files off your iPod if you use it like a HDD. Apple prevents you from moving songs off your iPod in iTunes so the RIAA stays off its back.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    so i AM able to add more songs [via iTunes] from another mac onto my iPod?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Badtz:

<strong>so i AM able to add more songs [via iTunes] from another mac onto my iPod?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't even remember if there is some kind of mechanism to prevent this. I know you can't if you have it set to automatically update.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    If I use my iPod for storage AND mp3s.....

does it store this in two separate directories on the iPod? or is everything stored in one folder, but the iPod only recognizes the music files?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Badtz,

iPod has a flexible partition that seperates MP3s uploaded from iTunes and data uploaded from your harddrive. You cannot get MP3s off of another computer and listen to them immediately without erasing the ipods MP3 contents. You can upload MP3s as data onto the ipod harddrive and transport them to your original computer and download them into itunes then upload them onto the ipod as MP3s. So you can transport data between computers you just cannot listen to it on the way.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Aren't there some 3rd party hacks for this? Even for the PC functionality?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    All the data on the iPod is located on one partition.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member