eMac screen is way better than people said

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
A while ago, I remember people slamming the eMac for having a bad screen. They talked about the 72 Hz refresh rate at max resolution, the vibration in the image caused by the speakers, etc.

Well I just tried one out a few days ago and none of those arguments held true. The eMac has a great screen that's much clearer than the one on the old iMac or even the excellent 17" blue and white monitor my mom has.

I was so taken by the eMac that I decided to get one instead of the iBook I've been talking about. I know it wouldn't be the perfect system for college, but since I'm saving a lot of money on it over the iBook, I'll be able to keep my laptop instead of selling it, so I get the best of both worlds. G4, large screen, DVD, and a portable as well.

I'm posting this shortly after I saw ting5's post about iBook snappiness... I'm not saying that the problem that many people mention does not exist, but it's probably so subtle that many people wouldn't notice it. Unless, or course, they were complete computer junkies, which does include a large portion of these forums, so I can see where people are coming from.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    patchoulipatchouli Posts: 402member
    I think the eMac is a great machine as well. Yes, the display is VERY nice (SO much better than the iMac CRT). But, I've seen 3 of them so far and each one had the moiré on screen at the highest resolution (none had it at the 1024x768 resolution). I am not sure if anyone can't notice it, as it is obviously there on the machines that have this problem - but we also can't assume that all eMacs have this issue either.

Perhaps the one you saw didn't have this problem and I am glad that the one you got is free of it as well! I was thinking about picking one of these up and giving my iMac away - but I want Apple to update it to a larger HD (since the HD upgrade looks like a nightmare). I have about 20GBs of MP3's and 40 gigs will not cut it. I also want to wait until Jaguar is released before I get a new Mac because I want to do a clean install and don't want to have to reconfig everything all over again.

What sort of RAM will you throw in there? Does it need PC133 or PC100? I've got 2 512MB PC100 sticks I could use if I do get one, but I am not sure if they are compatible.

Anyway, have fun with the new eMac!
  • Reply 2 of 6
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    The few times that i've played around with eMacs I thought the CRTs were pretty good.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    if i remember right, the eMac thread mentioned quite a few things that could be causing problems with the screens, the most likely being the lighting in the room being a slightly different refresh rate than the actual computer.

from personal experience, they looked pretty nice, but i can't stand looking at a CRT that's less than 85Hz anymore.

-alcimedes
  • Reply 4 of 6
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Oh, it sounded like I had already gotten an eMac from what I posted! No, I haven't gotten it yet, and I'm still not 100% sure if I want one or if I should get an all-purpose portable.

I must not be able to see the moire or whatever you called it. I looked at both the eMacs at the Apple store and I didn't notice anything bad on either one. I'm not too sensitive to low refresh rates on CRTs even though I use an LCD almost all of the time. The eMac didn't bother me, and even my mom's 17" B&W display at 1600x1200 60 Hz isn't bothersome outside of everything being tiny. I must just be different. I tend to be more sensitive to ergonomics than I am toward image/sound quality.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Oh, it sounded like I had already gotten an eMac from what I posted! No, I haven't gotten it yet, and I'm still not 100% sure if I want one or if I should get an all-purpose portable.

I must not be able to see the moire or whatever you called it. I looked at both the eMacs at the Apple store and I didn't notice anything bad on either one. I'm not too sensitive to low refresh rates on CRTs even though I use an LCD almost all of the time. The eMac didn't bother me, and even my mom's 17" B&W display at 1600x1200 60 Hz isn't bothersome outside of everything being tiny. I must just be different. I tend to be more sensitive to ergonomics than I am toward image/sound quality.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    The display on the eMac I have available to me seemed excellent; while playing with the monitors preference pane I discovered the contrast slider which brightened and sharpened the display up greatly.

I have not seen any flicker, although I am used to 16x12@60.

Congratulations on the purchase.

[ 07-21-2002: Message edited by: serrano ]</p>