Fellowship's Church featured on ABC

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just saw an ABC news segment on, of all things, the impact of farm subsidies on obeseity and for some reason ABC decided to feature Fellowship's namesake as an example of people trying to change their lifestyle. They had a hulking drill instructor named Jay Johnson running the parishoners through drills.

What got me was how huge this church was made out to be (people were running laps in it) and it had the appearance of a mall, complete with a food court.

After living in Texas I got used to seeing some huge churches. Here in Iowa we are a little more modest, my Dad even quit our church after they added an obscenely ornate wing to our church with the money he helped raise through the Knights of Columbus.

Well, anyway, didn't mean to make this post sound critical. Just wanted to give props to Fellowship and ask if he was one of the guys doing pushups. All in all it looked like a very positive thing for a church to be doing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    hahaha

I love my Church. It is not a run of the mill place.

I have met some absolutely fantastic people there and I am thankful to God for all the life changing going on at Fellowship Church!!

I missed the ABC bit but it is no surprise to me that Fellowship is in the news again.

Fellows
  • Reply 2 of 2
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

I just saw an ABC news segment on, of all things, the impact of farm subsidies on obeseity and for some reason ABC decided to feature Fellowship's namesake as an example of people trying to change their lifestyle. They had a hulking drill instructor named Jay Johnson running the parishoners through drills.

What got me was how huge this church was made out to be (people were running laps in it) and it had the appearance of a mall, complete with a food court.

After living in Texas I got used to seeing some huge churches. Here in Iowa we are a little more modest, my Dad even quit our church after they added an obscenely ornate wing to our church with the money he helped raise through the Knights of Columbus.

Well, anyway, didn't mean to make this post sound critical. Just wanted to give props to Fellowship and ask if he was one of the guys doing pushups. All in all it looked like a very positive thing for a church to be doing.

One of the catholic schools I attended when I was young used to raise money for additions to the church but we had a freespending Nun with a predisposition to walkways, and everytime the church would get a descent amount together this eccentric old lady would throw in a new walkway. pretty soon they were dragging in trailers to accomidate new students and they had so many unnecessary walkways they would have these trailers all over the 6 acre property (they literally had walkways leading to more walkways). every once in a while I pass the school, which reminds me of L.A.X. I certinly dont mean to offend but I always found it funny to watch the way churches spend their money.