input language shortcut key - question

gongon
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
cmd+option+space, cmd+space

These two combinations are supposed to change the active keyboard layout, says System Preferences -> International. But command+space, which is supposed to switch between the two most recent layouts, seems to do nothing at all, while cmd+option+space cycles between the layouts like it should. Have I understood this combination's purpose wrong, or do you know another reason for why things might not be working? (I'm running 10.3.3., and have two different language layouts selected for use)

edit: I put in a third layout (now US, Finnish, and Russian) and cmd-space indeed shifts layouts, only I can't figure out how it determines which layouts to shift between

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I just tried this and it works as you describe. Command-space toggles between two entry methods and Command-option-space cycles between all available methods.

It seems that command-space toggles between the currently viewed method and the previously used method.

I have four input methods, U.S and three Japanese methods. I frequently use one of the Japanese methods (hiragana). When I change to another method then command-space toggles between hiragana and the last method chosen.

If I choose hiragana then use command-space it toggles to U.S., my other commonly used input method. I'm not sure how it figures this out.

Do you see a small icon at the top of the screen which changes when you click command-space? Click on that icon to see a list of available entry methods.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

If I choose hiragana then use command-space it toggles to U.S., my other commonly used input method. I'm not sure how it figures this out.

Do you see a small icon at the top of the screen which changes when you click command-space? Click on that icon to see a list of available entry methods.

Cmd+space should toggle between the two most recent layouts. No matter what I do, I can't get it switching between US and Finnish layouts. When I added Russian to test cmd+space, it only switched between Finnish and Russian, or US and Russian, never Finnish and US. When I removed the Russian layout from the list, cmd+space once again does nothing.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I would guess that some kind of preference file has become corrupt or has a strange value in it. Try creating another account and see how that behaves.

I have to add that after playing around with the different input methods my account became somewhat confused. It seemed to always want to switch to Japanese every time I switched to a new input field in a different program (mail, address book, safari, tex-edit plus).

I found that the behavior was wrong. I could command-option-space to the US input method but the actual input method remained in Japanese. Moreover, although the Japanese input method was Japanese-Romaji (English characters) it was behaving like it had selected hiragana. I could override this by using the mouse and menu to select US input then it behaved properly. After a day or so of selecting US input it now behaves properly.

You might try selecting input methods with the mouse and keyboard for a day or so and see if that changes things.