Quark 6... why did they make this program? (print issues)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a fire to put out and you all are the best IT firefighters around. here is the scenario, Client is sending Quark 6 document (a Book). she is on a PC We are on Macs. We have quark 5 and 4.1. we also have indesign and Distiller.

what are my options (the more you come up with the more likely this will get solved) assuming the min system requirements for quark 6 is what she has.

ready? set? GO!.

flick.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    amaroneamarone Posts: 75member
    Let her save the file as QXP5 and you should be able to open and print it without probs, well, assuming you have the right fonts and she did a layout without special QXP6 features. Then replace the layout-pics with hi-res pics and go to prepress.

If you let her create a PDF she should have the hi-res pics already implemented and distill it (or export to PDF in Quark) to a prepress-PDF (settings depends on your press-output).

InDesign lets you open only Quark 4-files, if I remember correct.

voilÃ*
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Ok problem solved.

we kept asking her to ave it down to quark 5 and change the extension to a qxd file and she kept saying it was not working. Well she never really tried untill just now and it worked.

thanks for your help.

flick.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    QX6 also has an excellent PDF output. Really, better than anything I've used elsewhere, granted I haven't used InDesign.

Next, you should get QX6

It runs in X and doesn't have the annoying glitches that 4 and 5 have.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

It runs in X and doesn't have the annoying glitches that 4 and 5 have.

Right. It has brand-new glitches!

I just deployed 50 copies of Quark Xpress 6.1. It pretty much sucks. Quark as a company is pathetic.