Spilled Coffee on my laptop

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Just spilled coffee all over the keyboard of my laptop! I turned it off. Turned it upside down on a soft cloth. And then wiped it down with a very slightly wet paper towel. Seems fine right now, but I am backing everything up just in case.

Is there any thing else I should do to prevent any problems? This is my first laptop accident.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    bnoyhtuawbbnoyhtuawb Posts: 456member
    Stop drinking coffee, its better for the health (yours and you laptops)
  • Reply 2 of 6
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

Stop drinking coffee, its better for the health (yours and you laptops)

Out of the question.

Anybody know if you can pull of the keys/keyboard on the aluminum Powerbooks to clean underneath?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    gsfmarkgsfmark Posts: 210member
    my brother spilled a cup of water into his 12 inch powerbook, and he wasn't bright enough to unplug it or disconnect the battery. In spite of that, it worked great after he just disconnected everything and let it dry out for a day or so...

hope that helps?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    I don't think pulling them off will help much. IIRC the keys might come away, but the mechanism is left on the PB, so you will still have difficulty in cleaning properly...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    deunandeunan Posts: 106member
    once i spilled snapple all over my PC Laptop, ... removed the batteries immediately, unplugged all power, and i doused it with rubbing alcohol. i thought it was pretty much doomed, but it eventually turned on again after 9 days of letting it dry out.

water was recently spilled on my powerbook, it took about one week for it to work without bugs ... however the shiftkey inputs the wrong data, and i believe that i may have permanently damaged it....

so ultimately my suggestion would be to let it dry out, and if there is no luck, then try pouring rubbing alcohol... and let it dry for even up to one week!!! patience is what'll determine whether or not your computer will be alright

deunan
  • Reply 6 of 6
    notaclonenotaclone Posts: 82member
    Don't be afraid of the water!

Electronic components are rinsed in water during manufacture.

(my electrical engineer dad says so!)

The real enemy is sugar, milk, and any substance that can potentially create a permanent bridge twix two metal points on a printed circuit board that just have no business talking to one another.

Please include UNEVAPORATED water in this list of course! Never test just to "see" if it's damaged until all possible moisture is long gone. And if it wasn't just water or maybe just black coffee, DO be wary.

I have saved many a keyboard with a nice water bath and a LONG line dry.

Anecdotal:

But it was kind of fun having a keyboard that would only spit out nines for a while. Very Helter Skelter.

I recently learned we can add cat piss to the aforementioned list. I left my nikon battery charger on the floor. It seem fried upon testing (and a bit sticky too, never mind the smell!)

Gave it a good dunk and dry and it's fine now. $65 bucks saved. Calgon, take me away!

I suppose if I did that (or my cat did that) to my out-of-warrantee laptop, I might feel comfortable rinsing keyboard and PC boards. But I wouldn't give the whole thing a good soak like the charger or the keyboards! Best to leave it to the professionals.

It took $800 to get my margarita out of my boyfriend's HP PDA. I TOLD him not to try and turn it on while wet!