Don't use Disk Utility to clear iPod!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I think Apple just posted this warning on their support page recently didn't they?

Anyway, this is exactly what I did to my 20gig iPod. It all started with Itunes 4.5 and the new Ipod software. It didn't work at anymore so I then decided to use the Disk Utility to erase and start over.

Well, I guess that's a NO NO.

Anyone know how to fix this or is it shot for good now?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    nuked it down to the drive, did we? ouch. well, yeah, it kinda needs its os running for the mac to recognize it as an ipod. right now, it'd probably just see it as a firewire drive at best, an unformatted device on the firewire bus at worst.

either way, see if you can reinstall the ipod software from a host mac. you should be able to find it somewhere on apple's web site support area. unfortunately, i don't have an ipod, so i'm not sure what you can do, but that's my best guess for now.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    macworkmacwork Posts: 57member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

nuked it down to the drive, did we? ouch. well, yeah, it kinda needs its os running for the mac to recognize it as an ipod. right now, it'd probably just see it as a firewire drive at best, an unformatted device on the firewire bus at worst.

either way, see if you can reinstall the ipod software from a host mac. you should be able to find it somewhere on apple's web site support area. unfortunately, i don't have an ipod, so i'm not sure what you can do, but that's my best guess for now.

yeah it sees it as just a drive now... doesn't even work with the dock, I have to use the firewire itself.

This is a dumb question... what do I look for as in the host site info you mentioned?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Apple Support pages are your friend...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60957
  • Reply 4 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Use the most recent iPod Updater application, and 'Restore iPod'. That should do the trick.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by dviant

Apple Support pages are your friend...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60957

Thanks but I did see that page already, after the fact of course, I'm just wondering what my next step is... I really hate the idea of having to ship it out to Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Use the most recent iPod Updater application, and 'Restore iPod'. That should do the trick.

Actually, I've done that too but now it just shows the folder with the ! on it...
  • Reply 7 of 11
    ignore this post... it never happened.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    okay, put the iPod into Disk Mode first , THEN try iPod Restore...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

okay, put the iPod into Disk Mode first , THEN try iPod Restore...

Also tried that like 5 times last nite. I'll just ship it back and take my losses and see what they say, it's still under the year warranty...
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by macwork

Also tried that like 5 times last nite. I'll just ship it back and take my losses and see what they say, it's still under the year warranty...

sorry to hear it. the technology is fairly mysterious in these circles, as even apple has kinda made the whole "how the ipod works" a fairly nebulous commodity. it's not quite a disk, not quite a computer...
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

sorry to hear it. the technology is fairly mysterious in these circles, as even apple has kinda made the whole "how the ipod works" a fairly nebulous commodity. it's not quite a disk, not quite a computer...

It just seems like theres more and more posts with ppl having problems with their iPods. Some of it operator error but then again if Apple wants this to be a mass market item, which it is becoming they need to simplify the maintenance. I dont know how different the competition is, Rio, Gateway, etc. I wonder if similar problems are arising

It seems others are trying to use Disk Utility also, this is from Apple support discussions:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]