Two questions in regards to Trash

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Firstly, an easy one. How do I add Trash to my side bar in Finder?

Secondly, I have a folder in Trash that it never lets me delete because it is locked. But everytime I do a Get Info on the folder, it shows the folder as not being locked - well, at least the Locked box isn't ticked.

How do I unlock it so that I can delete it?

Les.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    hold option when emptying the trash, that should get rid of the stubborn folder

trash in sidebar link

that is more involved then this tho...
    Quote:

For adding .Trash to the sidebar - no need to show hidden files, just press Cmd-Shift-G for the Go To Folder dialog and type <tt>~/.Trash</tt>. then you can drag the proxy icon to the sidebar.

which is what I used...

errr actually what I did was make an alias of that folder and then throw it in the sidebar...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    gregggregg Posts: 261member
    If the Option-Empty Trash method fails, try replacing the folder. Make a new one somewhere with the same name, drag the stubborn folder out of the trash to a temporary holding place, then move the new one to the same place. It should prompt you to ok overwriting the old one. The next step is to throw it away again, and see if you can Empty it.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    The option-empty worked like a treat.. but the adding trash to finder sidebar didn't. When I gig the Go to folder routine it comes up with "Folder does not exist".

Les.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Side bar to trashing unwanted files -

I had a user with a partially downloaded IE file that just would NOT go away, in spite of attempted Unix delete tricks!

I opened the the file in text edit, deleted the text and saved. It deleted nicely after that. Doi!

Too bad that won't work on a damaged folder. Sometimes only a disk repair utility can fix that.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by les t

The option-empty worked like a treat.. but the adding trash to finder sidebar didn't. When I gig the Go to folder routine it comes up with "Folder does not exist".

Les.

just type in .Trash (not <tt>~/.Trash</tt>), it will appear, but you can't control click the icon in the sidebar to delete