10.3.3 and 10.3.4 applications launch in background

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I've run into a problem where every application I launch does so in the background. It is extremely annoying as I often find myself waiting for the app to launch (thinking my laptop is going slow) and it really is done in the background. The app just doesn't come forward. As I said, this happens with all applications launched in any way (via an action in Safari, clicking in dock, launching from Finder, running app from xCode).

I've tracked the problem down to happening only when more than one user is logged in at the same time. But it doesn't always happen. Logging out/in may resolve it; I forget at the moment.

Does this happen to anyone else? Is there some information on this bug anywhere? I seem to recall reading a post about it but couldn't find it. Anyone have ideas to solve it without logging out (I'm thinking some bg process should be restarted. Me thinks the window server but that's as good as a log out/in unfortunately.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    I get the following in the console:

Mac OS X Version 10.3.4 (Build 7H63)

2004-06-03 22:20:15 -0600

## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias of type (imdc/MP42/MSFT)

## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias of type (regR/carP/x!bt)

## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias of type (imdc/MP42/MSFT)

## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias of type (regR/carP/x!bt)