iPhoto: Share iPhoto library between users?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Is it possible to have one iPhoto library in a shared folder (/Users/Shared/) and then give each user complete access to it?

I have an iBook with 2 users (let's call them user1 and user2). I have put the "iPhoto Library" folder into /Users/Shared/. It semi-works for viewing, but once user1 imports new pictures (when new folders are created) then user2 can't import anymore because the newly created folders don't have the "right" permissions... If user2 then tries to import pictures, iPhoto crashes.

I have created a new group (let's call it photouser) and assigned user1 and user2 to it (in NetInfo Manager). My "iPhoto Library" in /Users/Shared/ has write&read access for group "photouser", but when iPhoto creates new folders, these new folders don't have these permissions.

What's the best strategy in getting this to work? Somehow set default group permissions?

BTW: I know what "Terminal" and "NetInfo Manager" is... but that's about it. With creating this "photouser" group in "NetInfo Manager", I proceeded using Pogue's "Missing Manual" (although for 10.1)...

10.3.3, iPhoto 4.

TIA,

Jan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    mpmoriartympmoriarty Posts: 289member
    I'll try and help, but it may sound like you are trying to do this the hard way.

You are on the right path by moving your iPhoto library to your shared users folder.

But instead of creating a new group in netinfo, why not set the permissions for the folder using the standard GET INFO window.

Simply change the permissions of both users to "read and write" and then click the "Apply to enclosed items" button at the bottom.

I don't know if you have done this yet, but you have made sure to put an alias to the shared iPhoto library where the old iPhoto library used to be inside each user's picture folder?

I hope you can get it working.

Mike