mac postscript to hp printer?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have an HP DeskJet 932c hooked up to my mac. Does anyone know if if there's any possibility of being able to print out my postscript type on this printer? It comes out bitmapped now. (I know other hp printers can, but I'm stuck with this printer for a while.) Any software, etc. suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    We need to know the OS version and applications you are on.

In the worst case scenario (which I'm guessing is Quark -- as AI, FH, PS, and most other applications behave fairly well on inkjet):

Mac OS9, any old Inkjet, and Quark XPress with imported EPS files (that appear as jaggy screen images in your printout now)...

You might use something to RIP the image for a single print step process:

There are software packages to create a Raster Image Processor on your Mac (a PS interface to your inkjet). Adobe had PressReady (check out http://homepage.mac.com/mdouma46/pressready.html), Birmy had a product, another may have been Print Central? Epson Stylus RIP server was lovely, but only for Epson and now discontinued. I'm not sure what is out there now, as OSX kinda nips the need.

BUT - if a PDF file prints fine right now to your printer,

then consider just using Acrobat Distiller to create PDF's first.

You can use Desktop Printer Utility to make a "fake" printer set to Adobe's Acrobat printer description file (PPD). This is how I deal with my occasional use of Quark v4 under classic mode to my inkjet.

[I have no intention of upgrading to version six until I can get a native english speaking person on the phone there!]

Same logic for a laser printer that lacks postscript.