Safari, CPU usage and AppleInsider

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is it just me or do others notice that when posting messages to AI with Safari the CPU usage shoots up to near maximum leaving idle processor time around 5%? Is there something I can set that will stop this? My PB gets real hot when I post to AI.

On the plus side this keeps my answers short and to the point as I don't have much time before the heat becomes unbearable.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    go into your user control panel->edit options->Use vBCode quick links on your message input screens? (NO)

see, the problem is the Smilies... the animated smilies use a LOT of CPU when other form elements are on the page... the above is the fix OR you could resize your window to hide the smilies while posting... try it!
  • Reply 2 of 6
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,563member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

go into your user control panel->edit options->Use vBCode quick links on your message input screens? (NO)

Thanks for the tip. I confirmed that keeping the smilies out of view brought the CPU usage down to zero. Also, clicking and holding on the window scroll bar so that they couldn't update had the same effect.

Could you be more clear on where to edit the option you describe? I looked in a number of places but couldn't find this. Is it in Safari preferences? The Safari preference file in my Library folder? Something else?

Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    hah sorry its an ai-centric preference... nothing to do with safari

at the top of the page on the right there should be a few buttons (FAQ, Members, etc.) go into the User CP and then follow the directions...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,563member
    OK, got it, did it, it works.

Thanks. !
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    wow, thanks for the tip, seems to have sped up a lil, or maybe that's just the placebo effect...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    mangomango Posts: 9member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

Is it just me or do others notice that when posting messages to AI with Safari the CPU usage shoots up to near maximum leaving idle processor time around 5%?

Dave Hyatt, one of the developers of Safari, is aware of the issue and is looking into it. The same thing happens with smilies over at MacNN forums.