iTMS open in UK, France, Germany

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 159
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

A quick Question, when iTunes came out in the US, I could browse the store, but not buy anything, but I remember there was a little 30 second preview button, but it seems to have gone now? (Havn't used iTunes for a while)

Double clicking a song will play the 30 second preview.

You can also select a song and hit the Play button, or hit the space bar (which toggles play on and off).

Now you can make playlists and drag the previews into them, so you can make multiple "wish list" or "undecided" lists without buying anything yet.

I suggest you all turn on "Shopping Cart" (or whatever the localised name is).
  • Reply 142 of 159
    I just bought my first iTunes Music Store tracks!!! Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side Of The Moon' . I can't believe I've never owned that album until now .

Dave.
  • Reply 143 of 159
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Quote:

LOL, I thought they were just playing with me in Outsider

I thought only cartoon characters wore the same outfit every day. Hmmmm... could Steve Jobs be a cartoon character? I guess he would join George Lucas.
  • Reply 144 of 159
    Wow. I absolutely cannot believe that Apple opened the iTMS in Europe before Canada. I really, really get the feeling that Apple has it in for Canada, as the poor country habitually takes it up the a$$ from Apple in terms of what Apple offers Canada versus what they offer the US considering that the country is a virtual extension of ours (lol . . dont take that the wrong way, my Canadian friends! I respect your culture and your soverienity! lol). At the very least Canada should have received the iTMS on the same day as Europe.

Does Canada even have iPhoto print developing yet?!??!?!

I dont even live in Canada and I am mad! lol

And another thing while Im at it . . . I took the liberty of browsing the variété française . . . and it is ABSOLUTELY ATROCIUS! It appears as though Apple has absolutely no comprehension of the fact that there are other countries in this world that create music, France being one of the, if not the most, biggest non-English source of music in the world. The limited amount of French artists featured only have one or two songs at most per artist. I expect the selection to get significantly better, and I realize these new, non-US iTMS's are in their infancies, but still . . .

No Lorie? No Joe Dassin? No MC Solaar? Apple is not very in touch with local music.

Oh . . and the songs that they did have in French . . . many had butchered song titles . . . I found one misspelling, many songs with incorrect capitalization or none at all . . .

I dont know about Germany, but I suspect the situation is similiar with them.

Poor non-Americans. Especially Canadians. lol
  • Reply 145 of 159
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac OS X

And another thing while Im at it . . . I took the liberty of browsing the variété française . . . and it is ABSOLUTELY ATROCIUS! It appears as though Apple has absolutely no comprehension of the fact that there are other countries in this world that create music, France being one of the, if not the most, biggest non-English source of music in the world. The limited amount of French artists featured only have one or two songs at most per artist. I expect the selection to get significantly better, and I realize these new, non-US iTMS's are in their infancies, but still . . .

As has been posted in this thread (twice! ) Apple failed to negotiate terms with the independent labels, which have a far more significant presence in Europe than in the US. So there's a whole lot of stuff missing until Apple gets that sorted out.

It'll be interesting to see how, given that the (UK) independents called Apple's terms "commercial suicide."
  • Reply 146 of 159
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I say shut down the UK, German and France iTunes Music Stores permanently, and issue a press release declaring Apple's intent to never establish one in Canada.

U.S. only iTunes Music store....ahhhhhh now that's better. Less complaining already.

(Actually I'd like a Japan, Korea and Thai iTunes Music store)...
  • Reply 147 of 159
    mac os xmac os x Posts: 53member
    Quote:

As has been posted in this thread (twice! ) Apple failed to negotiate terms with the independent labels, which have a far more significant presence in Europe than in the US. So there's a whole lot of stuff missing until Apple gets that sorted out.

True, Amorph, but not all of European music is from independent labels. Of course a considerable chunk is still from the 5 major labels, and a considerable chunk of the non-independent-label European music is not there either.

:::sigh:::
  • Reply 148 of 159
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

It'll be interesting to see how, given that the (UK) independents called Apple's terms "commercial suicide."

What terms could Apple have tried to force upon the Indies that would qualify as "commercial suicide"? I thought this would be one of the (if not the) most (cost-)efficient way to distribute music for an independent label...
  • Reply 149 of 159
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac OS X

Wow. I absolutely cannot believe that Apple opened the iTMS in Europe before Canada. I really, really get the feeling that Apple has it in for Canada, as the poor country habitually takes it up the a$$ from Apple in terms of what Apple offers Canada versus what they offer the US considering that the country is a virtual extension of ours (lol . . dont take that the wrong way, my Canadian friends! I respect your culture and your soverienity! lol). At the very least Canada should have received the iTMS on the same day as Europe.

Does Canada even have iPhoto print developing yet?!??!?!

I dont even live in Canada and I am mad! lol

We`ve actually had iPhoto printing for ages. Longer than Europe, for sure.

As for why no iTMS Canada? While I'd love to have it up and running, I'm guessing it just isn't all that high a prioroty for Apple. As has been mentioned, the market is not all that big. There could also be (and I'm guessing here) various foriegn ownership rules at play here.

Remember that while we now have an on-line Apple Store in Canada, that came far later than the European one. Same thing with Amazon. Heck, both the US and UK versions of Amazon let you buy things like electronics. Here, the newest innovation is the selling of software. I'm certain that there will be an iTMS Canada, but us Canadians just have to be patient and wait a little longer.

And yes, no MC Solar is a shame!
  • Reply 150 of 159
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gabid

And yes, no MC Solar is a shame!

MC Solar rules
  • Reply 151 of 159
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Abrey

I just bought my first iTunes Music Store tracks!!! Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side Of The Moon' . I can't believe I've never owned that album until now .

As much as I like iTMS, and DSOTM, there's one reason I wouldn't consider this an ideal iTMS purchase: iTunes lack of gapless playback. Most of the tracks on DSOTM play through from one to the next without any silence in between, which makes iTunes glitch a little at the track transitions.

Some people with tell you to use crossfade to fix this problem, with the crossfade time set to 0, but that only helps mask the problem part of the time, it's not a real fix.
  • Reply 152 of 159
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

I always thought people who complained about MP3, AAC, WMV were just perfectionist morons whith nothing better to do. But now Im in complete agreement with them, and my hi-fi system only cost £400. "Yamaha Pianocraft E400". Thats hardly state of the art, but just good low-midrange stuff.

Im afraid Apple won't be getting many of my £'s.

If you don't mind splurging £0.79 for an experiment, try buying a track from iTMS that you also have on an original CD for comparison. It's good to make sure it isn't just the sound quality of the particular music at issue.

[Edit: My bad! I just realized that the message which I replied to above said you'd tried just this experiment.]
  • Reply 153 of 159
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

As much as I like iTMS, and DSOTM, there's one reason I wouldn't consider this an ideal iTMS purchase: iTunes lack of gapless playback. Most of the tracks on DSOTM play through from one to the next without any silence in between, which makes iTunes glitch a little at the track transitions.

Some people with tell you to use crossfade to fix this problem, with the crossfade time set to 0, but that only helps mask the problem part of the time, it's not a real fix.

Yes, I noticed that this morning when listening to the album \. As I'd never even heard it before, it wasn't something I'd considered. Never mind though, it's still a good album.

Dave.
  • Reply 154 of 159
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

If you don't mind splurging £0.79 for an experiment, try buying a track from iTMS that you also have on an original CD for comparison. It's good to make sure it isn't just the sound quality of the particular music at issue.

Yeah, thats what I did, on a new CD I've had for about 2 weeks and listened to pretty extensively for that time - "Rasmus". There is just no comparison, the download is flat, dull, undynamic, lifeless, the high end sounds thin and compressed, and the bottom end sounds wooden.

I know its not a massive difference if you're just listening in the background, in a car, or at work, and if I want a few tracks on the cheap that I want to knock in the car, id buy, but for semi-serious listening, I think I'll take the CD
  • Reply 155 of 159
    mac os xmac os x Posts: 53member
    Quote:

Dude, is it really that big of a problem? I mean . . . lets say you are DJ'ing using iTunes . . . crossfade works fine set to 1 second . . . I mean, really

• Reply 156 of 159
    I meant to add that I got an email back from the President of the CMRRA, the body that Apple will have to negotiate rights with, about iTunes coming to Canada. His response was essentially (he emailed me at work so I no exact quote) Canada represents 3% of world music sales, requires everything in 2 languages and has overwhelmingly high operating costs.

So, don't expect iTMS Canada anytime soon. CMRRA and CRIA are both excited by the prospect and more than willing to accommodate Apple but from what I gather there has been very little communication between Apple and the necessary Canadian bodies.

He closed by saying, contact Apple and tell them you want the service in Canada, hopefully they'll listen.
  • Reply 157 of 159
    Well thats a nice kick in the nuts but I cant say that I didnt see that coming. Stupid french language.