good alternative to Vector NTI and comments on EndNote

:-):-)
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi all

This one is probably most to the science people out there... In my current lab they use Vector NTI to graphically display vectors and other DNA sequences, do you know of a good (and cheap) alternative to do sequence display (preferebly freeware/shareware as I don't have $2000 for software...)

I am also considering buying EndNote to keep control of my article base, does anyone have experience with this software?

TY

:-)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    staphbabystaphbaby Posts: 353member
    Quote:

Originally posted by :-)

Hi all

(snip)

I am also considering buying EndNote to keep control of my article base, does anyone have experience with this software?

TY

Yep. It's ugly and expensive, but it works. The interface is a particular pain in the bum, however. What can I say? It will do everything you want it to, by and large, except integrate nicely with non-Word wordprocessors.

You might want to check out some of the other bibliography software out there... Bookends by Sonny Software springs to mind. It's missing the excellent integrated searching of online catalogues that Endnote has, but it's a lot cheaper, and the interface is less heinous. The developer is relatively responsive, and it integrates with a number of non-Word word processors (such as Mellel and Nisus Writer/Express), as well as having Word 2004 and earlier support. There are a few nice features too, like auto-completion of journal titles and author names, the (relatively) easy ability to roll your own import filters to deal with broken export engines from other applications (damn you INNOPAC!), and Regex searching of the database. It's not the last word in interface design either, but I find it less of a hassle to get around.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    To be honest I fail to see Endnote's UI as "heinous". It does what it is designed for and it does it very well.

My suggestion though is assuming you are based out of a uni make sure they don't offer something for free, most universities offer something. I know around here many do EndNote but one does ProCite or whatever it is too.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    :-):-) Posts: 110member
    Thanks for your input guys, I'll make sure to check my options before I go shopping - free student software always sounded good to me...

and I guess I'll keep looking around for an alternative to vector NTI

TY