Wierd Powerbook buzzing....

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a 15" 1.33ghz PB, and recently it is doing a rather wierd thing...whenever it is plugged into the AC, there is a strange buzzing sound coming from the front (think between the battery and the CD). The moment I unplug it, all is fine.

I know that it is a trivial issue, but it is driving me nuts, will Apple even entertain this issue, or will they think that I am an absolute moron for calling them about it?

What do you guys suggest that I do?

Thanks!!!

R.

\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by maninmac

I have a 15" 1.33ghz PB, and recently it is doing a rather wierd thing...whenever it is plugged into the AC, there is a strange buzzing sound coming from the front (think between the battery and the CD). The moment I unplug it, all is fine.

I know that it is a trivial issue, but it is driving me nuts, will Apple even entertain this issue, or will they think that I am an absolute moron for calling them about it?

Thanks!!!

R.

\

call them! Who cares! it's worth a try, tell me what they say!
  • Reply 2 of 3
    composercomposer Posts: 212member
    Huh. Mine did that too. But I was travelling abroad at the time and I thought it was just unclean power at the hotel I was staying at. Didn't happen again after I left.

I'd give a call, or take it in anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by maninmac

Keep an eye (or ear) on it, and for now don't worry about it too much.

Mine does the same thing, and it only happens when a) I'm on AC, b) I have a lot of windows open, c) those windows have a lot of white showing and d) are near the top of the screen.

No, seriously.

Best guess is it's the video card and power supply interacting strangely. Apple knows about this, and current official position is that it is not a problem per se, or a flaw. Just an... oddity.

But in the meantime, keep track of it if you can, and watch for updated service information if it comes down the pipe.

Or you could just call Apple.