Time To Get A Car! (Well Almost)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
You were baited in by my "(Well Almost)" weren't you? You thought I'd have a picture of an old car that I just recently crashed that is barely drivable! WRONG!

I actually need to get my first car for college in the fall. I am starting this thread now because I'd like to get some of the research done now.

I'm looking to spend anywhere from $6,000 $10,000 (maybe). I'm looking for the perfect car of course...reliable, not ass ugly, can travel comfortably at 90 on the highway (as in not vibrating like I'm about to break the sound barrier ; )) and lower miles. I am looking to spend higher then lower because I want this car to last me for a long time...well a good couple years, I mean how long can a car really last...two, three computer purchases?

As far as a car or truck, two wheel or four wheel drive, I don't really care...don't want a motorcycle though. Automatic or manual...again no matter, heck it could be a truck and I'd consider it. I was hoping for 5 or more cylinder, but since I'll probably only be able to get those other things I want in a four cylinder that is fine too. So what kind of car am I looking at?

A couple rules...no beetles, and the car have be more flowing then any pre 1998 VW Unless your recommending a newer cadillac...or is it the mercedes?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    What kind of person are you?

edit: I'll just assume from above that you're not an engineer, particularly an engineer with a mechanical inclination.

If you want a really worry-free car with really good gas mileage, then a 4 banger is just what you want. You could probably pick up a late-nineties subaru wagon for the price you're looking for. They're not great to look at, but they are pretty durable, have good 4 wheel drive, a decent bottom-end, and since it's a wagon you'll pay less insurance and have room to move stuff. Of course, as is the case with any 4banger, particulary the foreign ones, you absolutely need to get the manual transmission.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    it isn't an exciting car, but this is what i would recommend: a chevrolet prizm. i wouldn't normally recommend an american car, but the prizm has a toyota engine and was produced at the same plant, and is, for all intensive purposes, the same car as the toyota corolla (they made the prizm 1998-2002 i think). however, because GM does not fetch as high a resale value as toyota, you can get toyota quality at the price of a used GM car.

for example:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...or=&cardist=66

i don't know where in PA you are, but that is one for sale near pittsburgh. less than 30,000 miles, automatic, great gas mileage. $8,000. i would look no further. there is no reason it would not go upwards of 200,000 miles. it isn't flashy, but it will get the job done perfectly.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    First, figure out what you need.

Do you need 4WD, A/C, etc?

Will you be hauling stuff (surfboards, snowboards, etc) on a regular basis?

How important is gas mileage to you?

Like Splinemodel said, first ask yourself what your needs are.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I don't need to be hauling things. Gas mileage would be nice since I'll be driving it at least an hour a day, everyday.

I need A/C. I want power everything, but it's not a must. 4 wheel would be nice as well, but not as must. Just would be nice to be able to still get around in the snow.

Those are fine cars, but my boyish nature wants something a little more fun. I don't know much about cars, but I was looking at VW's or Nissan's.

Are Jettas decent cars? What about Altima?

I'm just trying to get some input here so I can do some research so when I go to my car loving friends, I can tell them what I want so they can help me

What are some good trustworthy car review sites? I mean I've been browsing cars at autotrader, but http://auto.consumerguide.com/ looks decent for a guide...but is it?

• Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I don't need to be hauling things. Gas mileage would be nice since I'll be driving it at least an hour a day, everyday.

I need A/C. I want power everything, but it's not a must. 4 wheel would be nice as well, but not as must. Just would be nice to be able to still get around in the snow.

Those are fine cars, but my boyish nature wants something a little more fun. I don't know much about cars, but I was looking at VW's or Nissan's.

I'm just trying to get some input here so I can do some research so when I go to my car loving friends, I can tell them what I want so they can help me

What are some good trustworthy car review sites? I mean I've been browsing cars at autotrader, but http://auto.consumerguide.com/ looks decent for a guide...but is it?

Altima's have a great engine, and are a great ride. We've got a 2004 3.5 and it continually receives compliments from people who have been in it, plus it's bloody fast. If you've got the coin, check out an Altima.

*edit* One negative thing I've read about with the 2004 Altimas is their interior. I must say, having been in a lot of cars and based on the number of compliments our car has received, I would not worry. The interior is quite slick. One friend remarked that it's how the inside of cars should be.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jim Paradise

Altima's have a great engine, and are a great ride. We've got a 2004 3.5 and it continually receives compliments from people who have been in it, plus it's bloody fast. If you've got the coin, check out an Altima.

*edit* One negative thing I've read about with the 2004 Altimas is their interior. I must say, having been in a lot of cars and based on the number of compliments our car has received, I would not worry. The interior is quite slick. One friend remarked that it's how the inside of cars should be.

No worries, I'd only be able to afford a 2000 or 2001. I'm not sure why they are so cheap, I mean I'm finding 2000/2001 altimas with <50k for under $10,500. Does that sound normal?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I'm a dyed in the wool VW guy but you have to be careful with the Mark IV models (golfs and jettas 98 to now).

VW has had some rocky shit with QC, leading to some pissed drivers. Basically, you have to make sure that you know what's happening with the window regulators, the coil packs, the mass air flow sensor, and bits of interior falling off.

Now, the window regs, coil packs and air sensor are all under unlimited warranty/replacement edict from VW (enough people got mad enough long enough to force their hand), and if you are buying used you will be able to see for yourself how the interior is holding up (if there are problems they usually show up pretty early).

So the way I look at it is, even those these models had some initial problems (which is why their reliability rating has plummeted), they've all been pretty much dealt with and are known quantities (what I've listed really is pretty much everything that has gone wrong).

Having said that, the golf can be had with VW's fabulous 1.8T (turbo) 4 cylinder. Pulls like a 6, sips gas like a 4. Plus, since it's a small, quick spooling part, that boost kicks in at 2k rpm, so you don't have to wind it out to get some fun.

Some people aren't too thrilled with the golf's current suspension set-up, but if you want something fuel efficient that's a blast to drive and has all the bells and whistles, you could do a lot worse.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Thanks, I'll check those out too
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:

You can't get everything unless you want to lay down the cash. Why are you driving an hour a day? Are you living at home and commuting to school? Please tell me no. Save the money from the car and get a place in town. Living at home sucks.

Car + service + insurance + gas is going to be a lot more expensive, and not as nice, as having a place in town.

Anyway, a couple of other points

1. VW's are overweight, underpowered, aren't all that reliable, and don't have particularly impressive gas mileage.

2. As a rule of thumb, if you want a fun Japanese car, don't buy any models that aren't made for the Japanese domestic market. The Altima and Corolla are both US-only.

3. cool, reliable, cheap: pick two. Even so, cool/cheap cars (which inevitably are unreliable) tend to cost more than reliable/cheap cars.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Dude, for a new car, spend the extra 3k, to make it around 13k total and get yourself a Mazda 3...The cars are beautiful, plenty of zoom zoom action going on there, the warranty is decent, it is the best total package for the price out there, and you can get a good deal on them, at least a knockdown in price to 11k out the door. I talked down my dealer on my Mazda 6 from 29k to 23k. I would highly recommend the Mazda 3, in fact that is the car I am getting for my wife, though I am not getting the entry-level, but none-the-less, it is well worth taking a look at!
  • Reply 11 of 18
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

......1. VW's are overweight, underpowered, aren't all that reliable, and don't have particularly impressive gas mileage....

Overweight, sure, but underpowered? Maybe with the normally aspirated 2.0 motor but the 1.8T goes hard. And I get 28MPH around town, 32 highway.

As far as reliability, see my post above.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Overweight, sure, but underpowered? Maybe with the normally aspirated 2.0 motor but the 1.8T goes hard. And I get 28MPH around town, 32 highway.

As far as reliability, see my post above.

Perhaps, but that engine isn't available in the cars in this guy's price range. The 2.8L Row 6 is an interesting package, but it doesn't produce especially great numbers and it only gets 18mpg in town. Of course, the Corrado was pretty quick, though it was also terribly unreliable and poorly made.

I could talk more about the 1.8T. It's a pretty nice little package, but it's not going to be in cheap cars for a while. Plus, if it spools from the factory at 2k, it's going to put a lot of hurt on your engine, and over time this will compound problems. Most turbos spool a bit later in the power-band, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It makes them more thermally efficient and it safes them from pounding your engine until you need it. Then again, you could be like me and get a car with twin sequentials, and just pound your engine all the time.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    You want reliable, comfortable and driveable in excess of posted speed limits, and AFFORDABLE ?

For that, I'd recomend a used Ford Taurus... also has room for friends for those trips to the beack/ski slope/etc.

So it's not that sexy, but at least it isn't ugly. It will be reliable, and can be found in the LOWER end of your published price range.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

No worries, I'd only be able to afford a 2000 or 2001. I'm not sure why they are so cheap, I mean I'm finding 2000/2001 altimas with <50k for under $10,500. Does that sound normal?

Not a clue as to why they're so cheap. To my understanding, the more recent Altimas retain their value pretty decently.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jim Paradise

Not a clue as to why they're so cheap. To my understanding, the more recent Altimas retain their value pretty decently.

Maybe it's because they've been driven on PA roads? I also don't care if my car retains value well because I'll probably use it till it dies.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Pick up an ex-cop Crown Vic for anywhere from $3k to $10K.

Most of the time, the cop modifications are still present. Just stick a spotlight on a sideview mirror, a freakishly large radio antenna on the back, leave the window tint and other cop goodies alone and scare the crap out of anyone you follow.

Oh, these cars are easy to maintain and cheap as hell. You can find parts everywhere and usually install them yourself. Mmmmm....Police Interceptor.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

Pick up an ex-cop Crown Vic for anywhere from $3k to $10K.

Most of the time, the cop modifications are still present. Just stick a spotlight on a sideview mirror, a freakishly large radio antenna on the back, leave the window tint and other cop goodies alone and scare the crap out of anyone you follow.

Oh, these cars are easy to maintain and cheap as hell. You can find parts everywhere and usually install them yourself. Mmmmm....Police Interceptor.

Thanks Elwood....

so exactly where does one look for these beefy bargains?
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

Thanks Elwood....

so exactly where does one look for these beefy bargains?

http://www.used-police-cars.com/

Their listed prices are a bit steep, so if you can find a local police auction, you might be able to get it a little cheaper.

Still, you can check ebay motors. One of our family friends was able to get a really good deal on a '99 Crown Vic.

And don't let the high number of miles put you off, these things have been known to hit 250,000 miles easy.