WWDC and the future of APPLE

Comments

• Reply 121 of 436
    kormac77kormac77 Posts: 197member
    To Escher; Here is hint and old time memory flash back.

Remember this was year 2002 , and we are in year 2004.

Well, time fly! Isn't it?

i****v2 & beyond !

Quote:

posted 01-02-2002 11:47 AM ? ? ? ? ?

?

Well, it has been a while.

I think steve will introduce i****v2 Finally !

This might be the case.

Let's begin the keynote!

Steve came on the stage.

"We don't have not much time today. We have so many thing to announce that I will extend the time to two and half hour or more. If you don't have time you can leave now."

1) New iMac with Flat screen CRT 17 inch iMac with G4 chip. It is replacement for school and lower price market.

- Everybody liked but not satisfied.

2) New iMac with 15 inch wide TFT-LCD iMac

with G4. But it has big suprise!

- It has Raycer chip bult in! : FAST OS X GUI and real Fast 3D for GAME!

- It has Domino chip built-in: HDTV capable, MP3 encode & Decode, MPEG 4 Encode & Decode!

- and it has Gigawire with Airport II built in !: Now it is the real Digital Hub !

- Everybody liked but asking for more !

Part1

Hmm... Sound familiar?

And Where is MATSU ?

Quote:

11:57 AM ? ? ? ? ?

?

Part2

Steve is showing the many new function of iMac.

- It is OSX based for reason!-He will tell it later.

- You can watch HDTV ( 720P mode: 1280 x 720 )on it.

- You can watch TV program from all over the world using new MPEG-4 based internet TV which is using QuickTime 6.

- And with Gigawire, You will be able to control many new digital device for the HOME appliance which will be coming from many company. He introduce SONY, SAMSUNG as their partner !

- It might have new audio connector which is Dolby surround mode ?

Steve say that " We have showed iPod and there will be more to come. And iMac is the THE Home network server for Digital Hub.

Am I seeing a ghost?

Quote:

P.S.: If you read old KORMAC76 post, many of this function was there 7 month ago!

I think I do.

Quote:

posted 01-06-2002 12:31 AM ? ? ? ? ?

?

For the Digital Hub system working with SAMSUNG & SONY. You have to understand what it is.

Check this site & think what APPLE can fit into

SAMSUNG's Digital World - HOME Network

AND THIS ONE!!!

HOME PAD

Click the HOME PAD and check it out!
  • Reply 122 of 436
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kormac77

To Escher: Hello!!! It has been a such a long time since we talked!

Hello to you as well, kormac77.

Quote:

I still remember your hope for smaller Notbook!

How is your 12inch iBook or was Powebook? Do you wish to see the smaller one ?

I still have my 12" iBook G3/500 from May 2001. But I plan to order a new 12-inch PowerBook G4/1.33 before June 30. (I finished law school and my educational discount expires at the end of June.)

Quote:

Do you remember my i****v2 ? Do you still belive me ?

Of course, I still believe you, Kormac. As Mandricard has always said: Hope springs eternal!

Quote:

If you do, your whish will come this year!

Apple will introduce a sub-PowerBook in 2004? That would be very nice! I am still going to buy a 12-inch PowerBook. Later, IF Apple introduces the i****v2 or a sub-PowerBook, I can replace the 12-inch PowerBook with a PowerMac G5 and an i****v2.

Quote:

It was planned to show it at WWDC but it was delayed until Keynote at Fall CES show. But if Steve show it at WWDC, I will not be surprized.

An introduction at WWDC would be a wonderful surprise. When is Fall CES 2004?

Quote:

I will talk about this in future.

Kormac: I look forward to anything else you say about the i****v2 and Apple sub-PowerBook.

Escher
  • Reply 123 of 436
    cjoncjon Posts: 20member
    thanks for your thoughts kormac...

was interested in your ideas for the details of the workstation class G5 which you think might be announced at siggraph...
  • Reply 124 of 436
    To Escher:Sorry. The i**** v2 is not sub-notebook.

This is the hint from the past.

Quote:

posted 01-07-2002 03:37 AM ? ? ? ? ?

?

Part5

Steve came back to stage.

Steve: I am sorry ! I forgot the most important thing !

There is one more thing!

Everybody in the hall stand-up and cheers !!!

Steve: Did you ever had this experience ?

You are in the living room and you want to see ¡°soprano¡± rerun from HBO when you have a free time without change TV channel which is showing your wife's favorite program? Or you want to see your Apple Web page in the sofa without going back to your iMac ? You have 3 kid in the home and they want to have their own Mac for each.

Well. I think it is about time to solve this problem!

Well you know that we made Quarz as PDF based engine. And it is not bit-map based but vectorized. If you remember old time, there was X-window which is connected to UNIX server and many people could share one machine ! SGI was one of the best case of using it since all of their interface are X-window based !

And this is 21st century and we will have 21st century version of one. Yes. It is not your old macintosh anymore ! And it is totally different than what others are just showing as proto-type!

Apple will introduce .........i****v2 !!!!

-It is i****v2 ! - Maybe named iPAD ?

-I don¡¯t know exact name for it . I will call it iPAD now on.

It has OS X lite OS with Netboot client mode.

- OS X in Any macintosh can be Netboot server for iPAD. iMac, ibook are also included.

It can boot from Airport II !. And because it is Client software, it does not need reboot iPAD! it will just replace it¡¯s own window with servers window.

And no speed decrease since all the calculation is done on Server!

And it is using OS X -lite that it can be use by itself. We will have many many S/W for the Lite version. The QuickTime is the first of it and you can playback Quicktime file and read PDF E-book without server.

And thanks to domino chip inside of each Mac, you will be able to see live NFL anywhere using MPEG-4 streaming.

• Reply 125 of 436
    Hint from past

Quote:

Here is last part.

And you can use this as controller for Home network !

Think that you can connect this device from anywhere in the home or outside of home and you can do exactly same thing as you do on Desktop!

And when you go out, it became small notebook except keyboard and mouse.

The most interesting thing is that it can connect to Mobile phone with optional kit!

It will use blue tooth technology to connect with your Mobile phone to connect internet without Mobile phone out of your poket!

so you will be able to connect anywhere ! And it is compatible with Wi-Fi standard that it will be able to work in starbucks with a cup of coffee too !

This has built in Palm like functions so it can be act as PDA.

And also it has itune in it too.

You heard about it enough.

Here is the iPAD !.

he shows the A4 size tablet device.

Now if you see under the seat with seat number end with 0, you will be able to see it !

The screen size is 10 inch and it has 5GB Hard disk! Also Firewire port, USB port ,earphone, and PC Card slot for optional card. airport II is built-in and Docking port.

Steve: And this not end of it !.

We are introducing iPAD station : iStation!

it is small Set-top Box which is connected to Digital & analog TV and internet and it can connect to Home network !

You can put iPAD on it and it recharge from the docking port and you will be able to use it as screen mode of this.

It use G3 chip set and capable of small server.

It can record TV program and it has built in Mail system for home use!

Also you can use it as jukebox for iTune!

- Many rumor site might be confused this with possible LCD iMac design. Since it look a lot like detachable system.

Now today , APPLE announce the future of Consumer computing and Pro computing.

I hope you to enjoy the show thank you.

Steve go out of stage for real this time.

Everybody stand-up and cheer does not stop at all.

I think Apple¡¯s mission has been successful.

I realy have to go.

See ya later!
  • Reply 126 of 436
    Quote:

Originally posted by kormac77

Steve: I am sorry ! I forgot the most important thing !

There is one more thing!

Everybody in the hall stand-up and cheers !!!

Steve: Did you ever had this experience ?

You are in the living room and you want to see ¡°soprano¡± rerun from HBO when you have a free time without change TV channel which is showing your wife's favorite program? Or you want to see your Apple Web page in the sofa without going back to your iMac ? You have 3 kid in the home and they want to have their own Mac for each.

Well. I think it is about time to solve this problem!

Fuggetaboutit. Steve hates TV.
  • Reply 127 of 436
    Oh, while we are on the subject of integrating HDTV into Macs:

"During a recent restricted access conference, Steve Jobs has apparently asked movie distributors not to transfer part of their film collection to the HD-DVD format. SJ is complaining that this format is not enough DRM capable. As we can expect, this is SJ as Pixar's CEO who was speaking...

But going further in his logic, he has strongly expressed his wish to never see computers harboring HD-DVD burners."

Trust me, he hates the idea. It's not going to happen and Apple's customers will pay the price... or switch. This is a serious conflict of interest.
  • Reply 128 of 436
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Kormac,

Because the posts you dig up mention it, are you still saying the Raycer chip exists?
  • Reply 129 of 436
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

Oh, while we are on the subject of integrating HDTV into Macs:

"During a recent restricted access conference, Steve Jobs has apparently asked movie distributors not to transfer part of their film collection to the HD-DVD format. SJ is complaining that this format is not enough DRM capable. As we can expect, this is SJ as Pixar's CEO who was speaking...

But going further in his logic, he has strongly expressed his wish to never see computers harboring HD-DVD burners."

Trust me, he hates the idea. It's not going to happen and Apple's customers will pay the price... or switch. This is a serious conflict of interest.

It is hardly a conflict of interest. As CEO of Pixar he represents his various creative, artistic, innovative talents who are all in the business of creating a product and making profits (yes, even if in obscene amounts) from that product as well as paying the talent a high wage and having enough left over to do it all again.

As CEO of Apple, he heads a company that creates products that empowers a great many creative, artistic, innovative talented people (you and me) to be able to create products, for example, movies, music and TV shows, to be purchased by consumers and bought by companies to be shown commercially in theaters or cable/network.

Jobs taking the high road and not wanting HD-DVD burners -yet - protects Apple's very own customers - the creative people that are trying to preserve their works against an onslaught of piracy, one company of which happens to be Pixar.

It is a confluence of interest.

He wants DRM to be good enough to protect the artists (in this case, film and TV) etc. just as iTunes is good enough to protect against casual theft. Nothing is foolproof, there will always be hacks and free rippers especially on PCs, and sure, 3rd party companies will make the hardware anyway, but Jobs just wants a better head start, using what he's learned during the iTunes journey.

Imagine a world in which Jobs took the opposite stance, a Chuck D-like screw 'em attitude. If Jobs put in HD-DVD burners, everyone is pirating full quality DVD movies, the movie industry would go in the shitter as would most video stores.

Better to first set up decent DRM and create avenues to legally purchase movies (and burn them) with iTunes like limits. Do it earlier, rather than later.

That, I think, is all he is saying.

I'd like the source of that quote (I presume it's a Kasper - lots of assumptions in it).
  • Reply 130 of 436
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I pine for the day when the legality of a technology was determined by whether there was a substantial non-infringing use.

I can take some consolation in the fact that Steve's idea of DRM is that it keep honest people honest, rather than attempting absolute control. Still, though.

In Steve's defense, movies and music are totally different. You can acquire a song "illegitimately," decide you like it, and then go buy the album, because people listen to songs they like often. But although I've heard of people previewing ripped films to see if they're worth seeing in the theater, and then going to see them in the theater, that equation might well change if you could see a film in full HD quality for free. After all, how often do you see a movie you really like? (Well, besides watching Monty Python and the Holy Grail until you had it memorized in high school? What? You did do that, didn't you? )

Still, in my gut, I'm more sympathetic with Chuck D - who is, after all, a content creator himself.
  • Reply 131 of 436
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

If Jobs put in HD-DVD burners, everyone is pirating full quality DVD movies, the movie industry would go in the shitter as would most video stores.

One could argue when a movie about dodgeball is #1 at the box office the movie industry is already in the shitter.
  • Reply 132 of 436
    Well something big must be coming at WWDC as Apple has gone out of their way to introduce as much as possible beforehand.
  • Reply 133 of 436
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Still, in my gut, I'm more sympathetic with Chuck D - who is, after all, a content creator himself.

The problem with the Chuck D mentality is this:

He started from nothing, worked hard against all the adversity he likely faced, as anyone does in business but especially so a young black man in a fledgling music genre (at the time).

Thanks to the existing structure, he was able to amass a fortune....he's a multi-millionaire. Being successful is not a bad thing.

Problem is that now that he has climbed up the latter and is on the parapet, he wants to pull up the ladder behind him, so no one else can climb up out of the ghetto (or trailer park or tenements) they same way he did.

It is too arrogant/ignorant to suddenly say that the system is bad despite it working for you so magnificently. Any system can be made to work and be improved. But he wants to completely dismantle it with no logical, well-thought out replacement that I've ever heard of. (I'll gladly listen to alternatives).

I mean I can envision a world where all music, all t-shirts, all posters, all CD/DVDs, all concerts are free, listeners/viewers pay nothing for anything anywhere. Let artists rely solely on voluntary contributions. Pay out of appreciation. I love you Ray Charles, here's $10.

And then I wake up
  • Reply 134 of 436
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    ...post has been deleted. Friend thought it was a joke to post a 'Macs are rubbish' notice from my account. Off to severly punish him.
  • Reply 135 of 436
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

That, I think, is all he is saying.

I'd like the source of that quote (I presume it's a Kasper - lots of assumptions in it).

It was reported on last week from various sources. His actual quote was more along the lines that he never wanted to "have" to put a HD-DVD drive in a Macintosh so it's actually a bit worse. As the format is not set in stone it is a bit premature to be denouncing it. That is what worries me. What he is saying is that Apple will never put a HD-DVD drive into a Macitnosh unless their compeditors make it absolutely necessary to do so in order to survive. Maybe it's another excuse for not including the latest technology. I don't know. I can see a situation develop where everyone else includes one but Apple holds out for years while we are taunted by are PC friends...

...or maybe you are right and he is sinply worried about DRM but he has come off as so arrogant lately. Check out the interview about the iPod last week. It's as if he became everything he hated in the interview. I imagine a 70s era Jobs would be agast at what he saw.

\
  • Reply 136 of 436
    It has been suggested this may be more a ploy about HD-DVD using Windows Media 9 and Apple wanting H.264 instead. Who knows? Maybe we will find out in the 2010 edition of Apple Confidential or something...
  • Reply 137 of 436
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

Well something big must be coming at WWDC as Apple has gone out of their way to introduce as much as possible beforehand.

That's the thinking...

PowerBooks: updated

PowerMacs: updated

iPods: updated, mini released

iBooks: probably not updated

iMacs: time for it, but tech might not be ready for a big leap

iSight: meh

And we *know* that 10.4 is going to be previewed, Xcode 1.5 shown off, etc.

So what's left that could be 'big'?

QuickTime 7

New Unforeseen Hardware
  • Reply 138 of 436
    Well, the iBooks were just updated. The iMac is overdue however.
  • Reply 139 of 436
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    i think the link is here....

not sure how to post as a link so...

here is a try

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/...14144108.shtml
  • Reply 140 of 436
    I'm curious, considering the huge lead-time required for setting up certain long term products and strategies, how much of what we are seeing is merely a run up to an iTunes app and store for movies (no, I'm not rehashing this in the sense that I think it's imminent) say by like 2005, 2006 or so?

How much of Apple's horrifically slow CD burner adoption was directly related to Apple/Jobs wanting to first formulate an iTunes & DRM strategy?

What point did Sound Jam get bought/licensed by Apple for use in iTunes?

When did DRM first start to be developed in QuickTime?

The timescale for a video version of iTunes (obviously the name needs to be something else) need not be the same as it was for iTunes (for music) since they've learned a lot and can utilize most of what they've learned.

(I'm also not suggesting video iPods or people watching videos on their laptops or desktops in any significant numbers, I'm presuming there would be a HD TV-centric device for watching on actual TVs.)

The Mac/Apple "survived" Apple's late arrival to CD burning and of course thrived in terms of music listening. I certainly envision them doing the same with movies - but cautiously. And not identically. Jobs will take video's unique requirements into consideration. Like Hank Hill said "Do you want it done quick or do you want it done right?"