use emac as a display

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is it possible to use the e-macs internal display as a normal diplay for my Win-PC? I'm asking, because I want to substitute my PC with an e-mac, but I still need the PC for a few programs and I don't have space for two displays, neither the money for a powermac

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by future-ex-pc-user

Is it possible to use the e-macs internal display as a normal diplay for my Win-PC? I'm asking, because I want to substitute my PC with an e-mac, but I still need the PC for a few programs and I don't have space for two displays, neither the money for a powermac

Microsoft makes a free program called Remote Desktop Connection Which lets you get onto your PC from the Mac and it shows the PC in a window or fullscreen.

I've had great success using it and to me it is fast enough to do most work on a PC (although I wouldn't use it for graphics-intense programs).
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I've allready used this software with my powerbook. While it is usable, I wouldn't want to use it for graphic intensive apps or games. Would I need to use some sort of firewireadapter like those from formac, or is there a easy and not to expensive way?

I'd like to have my setup as if there was a switch between the two, incuding the keyboard and mouse if possible.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    There is no hardware solution.

If you need software that is graphically intensive then just get a monitor for your PC.

You can run win2vnc and osx vnc ( or a reverse combination ) to share your keyboard an mouse.

Then run the dual monitor script on your emac, and use your second monitor with a switch box ( or get a dual input monitor ) and use it on your emac when you arent using your PC.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    There might be hardware solution. If you took the baseplate off old iMacs you could use the internal monitor connector with an external monitor.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    clonenodeclonenode Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

There might be hardware solution. If you took the baseplate off old iMacs you could use the internal monitor connector with an external monitor.

Right, but that was video OUT. There is no video IN on the eMacs. The only option is bringing analog or digital video into iMove thru the FireWire port. Still, this is not PC video.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    There are normal VGA connectors between the original CRT iMac on the motherboard tray. If you remove the cover as you would to add RAM or a new hard drive, you can easily connect the iMac to an external monitor of another computer to the iMac's internal monitor. I'm not sure if this changed in later revisions or for the eMac.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    The montiro is connected to the motherboard with a removable cable, but it doesnt use a vga connector. You could rewire it and put a switch box in there.

I dont think it is very feasible to use the eMacs monitor for another computer while you are using it for the emac ( not impossible, just not very feasible ).

I do plan to use my emac's monitor for a display on my next computer, and the emac itself will become a headless server, but thats really a different scenario.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I've always wondered since the VERY original Macintosh, why you can't use All In One Macs as monitors. It'd be so cheap and simple to add a video in. What gives? It'd add so much to the value and longevity and usefulness. Especially if you're going to have something like a 20" iMac or a big ol' eMac. I mean am I the only person who thought of this? How come the geniuses at Apple have missed this for over two decades!? Let's all e-mail Apple please I think this is an important feature. And as well, to add video in to all PowerBooks and maybe even iBooks. There again, that 17" PowerBook screen ain't cheap.