First Abu Ghraib, now Air Ticket Gate, how can Rummy survive?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Story

Saw this on CBS news this morning.

As Rumsfeld is the head of the DOD, it's clear he should be held 100% responsible for the 100 million dollars wasted because of poor management. Either that, or this was a covert subsidy for the airline industry, which is illegal.

Let's get rid of him, already.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    Naw, he's good. Afterall, the Pres did tell him that "WE still love him"... Nyak, snicker...
  • Reply 2 of 21
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I want some of that money!

well, I guess it would be better spent on armorment for a Humvee, or a Kevlar vest than a new G5 for me . . .
  • Reply 3 of 21
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member
    Dude, it's Abu Ghraib, not Al Ghraib.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Imagine that, the government spending money in a wasteful manner. I suppose that is why some of desire to give as little of it to the government as possible. However I suppose in this instance it was at least wasted on one of its actual primary purposes.

Nick
  • Reply 5 of 21
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Imagine that, the government spending money in a wasteful manner. I suppose that is why some of desire to give as little of it to the government as possible. However I suppose in this instance it was at least wasted on one of its actual primary purposes.

Nick

Government waste, especially of this nature, is a bi-partisan issue. Unless you realize the government ended up directly subsidizing the airline industry, which is good for big business I suppose. Lots of us oppose corporate welfare.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Government waste, especially of this nature, is a bi-partisan issue. Unless you realize the government ended up directly subsidizing the airline industry, which is good for big business I suppose. Lots of us oppose corporate welfare.

Including me.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Including me.

Then you ought to be coming out of your skin over Iraq, since it's been from the start one giant corporate welfare project.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

You just don't get it do you?

We probably throw away that amount of money a year in milk from our "free" lunch programs which just about anyone and everyone qualifies for nowadays. That was over the course of six years. If I wanted to list all the departments/agencies that waste 16-17 million a year on things I consider unnecessary, I would have a list several miles long.

You are right that it is an issue that affects everyone. But it is certainly not bipartisan because in order to make the government work correctly, it should be limited and only involved in roles that it would do well. Anytime it gets into income redistribution, and things of that nature it has waste and fraud on levels that make these airline tickets look tiny. I would bet that the number of people who managed to get the Earned Income Tax Credit under false pretense last year alone was probably a couple BILLION dollars. Routine audits of of Medicare turn up similar results as well.

The Republicans have proposed reducing the score of government. Democrats, only want to increase it. The only difference between the two at this stage is the rhetoric because the Republicans haven't made the government smaller. Government is always wasteful and unaccountable. It is it's nature.

Nick
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

So let's start here. What's stopping us? We both agree that this is a waste of taxpayers' money. START HERE.

They did start there, hence the audit that turned up the waste that occurred for six years.

However tossing some mock outrage over $16 million in misspent funds while ignoring the BILLIONS misspent is the height of hypocracy. I'm ready to roll Republican and Democratic heads over the out of control spending. But don't sit there and give me some false outrage when the guys you use it for would spend and waste even more.

Am I supposed to somehow support a Democrat when half this waste occurred during the last half of the Clinton term? It just proves we need someone even more conservative fiscally than even the Republicans. If you are telling me you would support that, then we have a "start." Otherwise you are just trying to stir up some outrage for no good reason.

Nick
  • Reply 10 of 21
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Actually what we need is more accountability for the $$$ spent by the government. Why should senators allowed to add pork to our budget when we don't properly fund education, healthcare, food for the poor, etc. It's not like feeding America would cost much considering at the moment we pay farmers not to grow food.

Until Americans as a people (and I mean millions of people) stand up and declare that we're "mad as hell and aren't going to take it anymore" we're going to get the short end of the stick from the goverment.

[On Topic]

I heard a rumor that Rumsfeld is resigning on July 1. It could be a crock but I thought I'd pass it on.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Quote:

It just proves we need someone even more conservative fiscally than even the Republicans.

Republicans are not fiscally conservative. They just have different spending priorities.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    If waistful spending is what you want, look at the education system, the more money the schools get, the lower the grad. rates and test scores, WTF is that?
  • Reply 13 of 21
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    This place just OOZES with liberalism.

You guys don't even try to hide it.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

If waistful spending is what you want, look at the education system, the more money the schools get, the lower the grad. rates and test scores, WTF is that?

It might have something to do with teachers having waaaaaay too many students.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Isn't there a website with a full list of stupid projects that the government spends taxpayer money on? I remember going through it once, don't recall it now.

All governments in the past have their share of stupidity. It is not restricted to the current one. Lets just kick Rums out of the office anyway.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

Isn't there a website with a full list of stupid projects that the government spends taxpayer money on? I remember going through it once, don't recall it now.

All governments in the past have their share of stupidity. It is not restricted to the current one. Lets just kick Rums out of the office anyway.

yeah, it's called the budget:

2004-- http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2004/

2005-- http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2005/
  • Reply 17 of 21
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

It might have something to do with teachers having waaaaaay too many students.

Exactly, if this money isnt hireing teachers then what the f-u-c-k is it doing,

Capitol hill is a perfect example of a line from the sopranos, "Money runs uphill, bulls*it runs down"
  • Reply 18 of 21
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

You just don't get it do you?

We probably throw away that amount of money a year in milk from our "free" lunch programs which just about anyone and everyone qualifies for nowadays. That was over the course of six years. If I wanted to list all the departments/agencies that waste 16-17 million a year on things I consider unnecessary, I would have a list several miles long.

Do we?

Quote:

You are right that it is an issue that affects everyone.

Of course.

Quote:

But it is certainly not bipartisan because in order to make the government work correctly, it should be limited and only involved in roles that it would do.

Believe it or not, Democrats don't encourage defrauding the government. Yes, it's a bipartisan issue.

Quote:

Anytime it gets into income redistribution, and things of that nature it has waste and fraud on levels that make these airline tickets look tiny.

Due to the amount of welfare our government gives out (which pails in comparison to other countries but dwarfs 100 million dollars), it's not surprising. But conversely, the amount of income tax and other related fraud at the top income levels probably dwarfs those way overhyped "welfare queens."

Quote:

I would bet that the number of people who managed to get the Earned Income Tax Credit under false pretense last year alone was probably a couple BILLION dollars. Routine audits of of Medicare turn up similar results as well.

You're probably wrong.

Quote:

The Republicans have proposed reducing the score of government. Democrats, only want to increase it. The only difference between the two at this stage is the rhetoric because the Republicans haven't made the government smaller.

The line about Democrats isn't necessarily true.

Quote:

Government is always wasteful and unaccountable. It is it's nature.

No, it's the nature of poor administration and oversight of that government.