Expectations of our members
We all understand that international politics as well as domestic politics bring with it a level of difference of opinion from person to person. We also can attest to the fact that we have our own personal biases, experiences and opinions which is to be expected and this is great.
Here is the mission:
- When posting do not question what an author of a thread labels the thread. If the title of a thread is in need of editing a mod or admin will make the needed changes. PM a mod if something looks out of place. Do NOT publicly question the author of a thread about the title within the thread. This tends to derail a thread into petty defense / attack discussions about the title of the thread hence derailing the thread itself.
- When posting understand that others may disagree with your point of view and no level of excessive argument, condescending tone and or ad-hominem tactics will change the other person's viewpoint. Allow for differences even if you happen to disagree with someone on a given issue. People will disagree and life does go on.
- Refrain from using any form of a bigoted statement within threads or posts. I think all of us here can and do understand the difference between using the label of a particular Race, Religion, Social Status, Sexual Orientation, Regional Culture in legitimate terms as compared to these labels being used in a negative light manner as to spew bigotry and or push buttons of others here at AO or others not here at AO for that matter. If you have any question about this PM any mod / admin for clarification before posting something that you are even mildly unsure of.
- From time to time a thread title may be used as to assign blame for a particular party or candidate for example: "Bush Flip Flops on Iraq War" Do not start a thread which directly inverts this sort of a title for ex: "Kerry Flip Flops on Iraq War" AO does NOT need this form of flaming at all. There are many words in the English dictionary feel more than welcome to be creative and avoid reactive new threads to counter something which you disagree with in another thread. Address your disagreement within the original thread.
- Last but not least: Be polite while posting. It is such a simple thing but it goes a long way.
Thanks for taking the time to read the above statements.
See you in AO,
* If you need anything just PM any of us anytime *