Geforce 2 MX

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi!

I put a original Geforce 2 MX in my G4 but the original was the ATI Rage Pro(both AGP). It works grate in the 9.2.2 and in the 10.2.8, but i can't see dvd's with the quality of the ATI in the OSX. I try the VLC software and sometimes i have a good quality and sometimes don't... The DVD player that came with OSX is the same problem... bad frames and a lot's of bad decoding... Why?

The games work fine, quartz extreme fine, but the dvd movies!!????

I try with pacifist to install the dvd player and the driver of the geforce... nothing at all....

Can i find drivers for OSX?

Geforce 2 MX 32 MB AGP

Vendor:10de

Card Rom: 1055

Revision: a1

Thank's for your time...

Murdock

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    I don't know the answer to your problem. But I think you chose a bad time to ask such questions. For the time being, we have here gladiator combats around the new Power Macs. You must feel lucky if someone decides to put down his sword and take the time to answer you.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    murdockmurdock Posts: 49member
    Hi!

I see... i see...

I wait, but from my point of view i think we all know that Apple never was cheap and they are trying to have extra cash in the "obsulet" G5 to develop more the OSX...

Thank's for your advice but i wait!

Murdock
  • Reply 3 of 12
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    As far as I remember, the ATI cards always had really good DVD playback. They were able to filter interlace stripe patterns before anyone else did.

nVidia on the other hand had very poor DVD playback on their first Mac cards.

That Geforce 2 MX card, isn't by any chance that first Mac card they did?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Hi!

I think so...

What can i do?

Update the rom?

New drivers? Were can i find drivers?

Some times it work's fine but other's....

Murdock
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Murdock

New drivers? Were can i find drivers?

Did you do any research on this at all? I'm not sure...

Did you see this link?

(All I did was enter 'Mac' in the nVidia site's search field. Hint: top right hand corner! Very easy to do!)

And did you check each and every result of this link?

(Again, all I did was enter 'nVidia' in the Apple Support page's search field, as directed to do in the first link.)

Is this difficult?

Or did none of the 47 search results help?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Hi!

I put a original Geforce 2 MX in my G4 but the original was the ATI Rage Pro(both AGP). It works grate in the 9.2.2 and in the 10.2.8, but i can't see dvd's with the quality of the ATI in the OSX.

Now that I am thinking again about this... do you installed the card after you have installed OS X? Could you try to reinstall OS X with the card already in the machine, so that OS X sees the card during installation time?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    This thread is belonging to the genius bar : moving it here
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Hi!

Of course; i have done all the search in Nvidia and Apple site... only drivers to 9 system... I'm having problems in the OS 10.2.8!

I am very happy with your help but i thing i gone need more effort from your input... need more input..

Installing another system... Jesus and Mary Chain... no way... why is so important... i use pacifist to take the drivers from the nutshell...

Keep on... problem still year...

Murdock
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Murdock, so have you tried upgrading the firmware of your graphics card?

Have you tried reinstalling Mac OS X, after you put in the new graphics card?

And have you upgraded OS X to the very lastest X 10.3.4? Because 10.3.4 comes with new nVidia drivers.

I see you're on Jaguar, but perhaps it would be worth upgrading the OS to Panther.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Hi!

Need to upgrade for just one driver???

The firmware is only for the Apple Cinema HD Display... with some card's...

If you have the 10.3.4, can send me the Nvidia driver?

Thank's for your time...

Murdock
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Need to upgrade for just one driver???

Well, of course not just for one driver! You get a whole lot of OS with 10.3. In my opinion 10.3 is miles better than 10.2. In fact I can't imagine anyone not upgrading - unless the Mac is incapable or running 10.3. Macs generally run faster with Panther. Why would you want to keep using a slower Mac?

Quote:

If you have the 10.3.4, can send me the Nvidia driver?

If you tell me exactly how to do this?

You see, 10.3 doesn't really come with a nice file saying 'this is the new nVidia driver - double-click to install'. I'd assume it's a gazillion of libraries and extensions strewn all over the place. I wouldn't even know where to look for them. Let alone be sure to find them all.

Searching on my HD for the term 'nvidia' conveniently finds: nothing

And even if, who says that the nVidia drivers from 10.3 would even run on 10.2? Chances are they won't.

Sorry, can't be of assistance here.

But again, get 10.3! It's worth it in so many ways.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Hi!

The driver work's fine... they only modify in a upper level thing...

You can use Pacifist to "see" the files in your install disk... try!

But you can search in your OS 10.3 in the folder:

osx/system/library/extensions/

... for the files:

Geforce.kext

Geforce2mxgl.driver.bundle

If you find this files send to me... there is one more that includes DVD in the word of geforce, if you find is one more for the shore... send to...

The 10.3 are better but some programs that i use don't run... just have to be patient...

Thank's for your help...

Keep in touch.

Murdock