Please Help!: Dreamweaver won't start!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,

I am having the following problem:

I hadn't used DW2004MX for a while (couple of months). When I try to use it now, the icon bounces in the dock for about 7 or 8 seconds, the splash screen appears for just a second, then the whole thing goes away--no crash notice or anything.

When this happens, the console outputs the following:

Authentication Service: Started

Xerces Panic Error: Could not load a local code page transcoder

I've tried the Macromedia boards and no one seems to have an idea. I've also googled about it, but all the transcoder and xerces problems seem to be with PCs.

I have also tried:

uninstalling and reinstalling DW. This includes, deleting the preference files and any other trace of the program on the drive.

running all the cron jobs MULTIPLE times.

repairing permissions MULTIPLE times.

rebuilding the database with diskwarrior.

I am running a Powerbook 15" 1.25 and 10.3.4

Please tell me someone has some idea of what to do here. I am thoroughly stumped!

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member
    Quote:

Originally posted by los angeles

Hello,

I hadn't used DW2004MX for a while (couple of months). When I try to use it now, the icon bounces in the dock for about 7 or 8 seconds, the splash screen appears for just a second, then the whole thing goes away--no crash notice or anything.

I've tried the Macromedia boards and no one seems to have an idea. I've also googled about it, but all the transcoder and xerces problems seem to be with PCs.

I have also tried:

uninstalling and reinstalling DW. This includes, deleting the preference files and any other trace of the program on the drive.

Please tell me someone has some idea of what to do here. I am thoroughly stumped!

Thanks.

I googled on "Xerces Panic Error" and found some other users with this problem. The thing that worked for them seemed to be reinstalling or upgrading Windows XP.

Anyway have you tried:

Running the application as a different User?

Upgrading to the latest patch version of DW?

When you search your HD for Xerces what do you find?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by los angeles

Hello,

I have also tried:

Thanks.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/se...ousprompts.htm

http://www.macromedia.com/support/se...ation_loop.htm