Free Virtual PC's?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is there any way to run windows software on a Mac without having to spend a ton of money?? Maybe a program like Virtual PC thats shareware? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Most of the cost of Windows emulation software is Windows itself... so the answer is going to be no. There are other emulators out there, but you still have to buy Windows.

A few years ago I bought RealPC for about $50, with DOS, as I only wanted it to run a few DOS games, and one program that I was working on re-creating on the Mac... Needed to see it run so that I could duplicate it (custom software... no IP issues).
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I have a copy of windows ready to use, so I guess I'll have to buy VPC then.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    I haven't been able to find any demoware OSX VPC, either. Does it even exist? I want to see how it runs before I buy.

If it is any consolation, M$ is offering that "free" copy of VPC bundled with Office deal. Of course, when you see what an official, legal copy of Office is, it makes OS purchases look cheap. We'll miss you Connectix...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

I haven't been able to find any demoware OSX VPC, either. Does it even exist? I want to see how it runs before I buy.

Ill tell you, its slooooooooooow.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Do you mean "slow" as in the usual VPC slow (in previous versions), or "slow" as in "What have they done to my VPC" slow?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

Do you mean "slow" as in the usual VPC slow (in previous versions), or "slow" as in "What have they done to my VPC" slow?

He means slooooooooow as in the shareware options for PC emulation will make you think VPC isn't all that bad. If you already have a copy of Windoze, your best bet would be to buy VPC DOS version. You should be able to find it for under $120. My recommendation from personal experience is to use Win98 or Win2K.