firewire port. She plugged it in and had a message on the iPod screen saying

something about not disconnecting. I've found out later that she uses 0SX at

home & we use OS 9.2 at work. She said that normally when she plugs it in

at home, it would access her iTunes. It wasn't doing that at work. When she

did disconnect it, her computer froze with a message about the firewire

device.

She restarted & while that was going on she noticed that she couldn't scroll

up or down on her iPod & some other odd things. Did I seriously screw up

her iPod or will it go back to normal when she hooks it up to her mac at home?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member
    Firewire devices should always be ejected before they are disconnected. Drag the device's icon to the trash to eject.

This is true under both X and 9 as far as I know.

The iPod can only be "registered" with one computer at a time. Only the registered computer will allow access to the songs through iTunes.

I believe that there are hacks that allow file system access to the songs on an unregistered computer but that is not something that I can recommend in good conscience.

As far as screwing up her iPod I am surprised that there was really any bad effect. Worse comes to Worst she can always reset it, but I doubt that will be necessary.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    trans9btrans9b Posts: 97member
    Quote:

The iPod can only be "registered" with one computer at a time. Only the registered computer will allow access to the songs through iTunes.

i'm 100% certain that this is not true. i have a power mac g4 at home, and my sister has an imac. when i visit her, i can hook my ipod up to her mac and access the music on my ipod, through itunes, with zero difficulty. this sounds more like an OS 9 vs. OS X issue...you must be thinking about purchased music with that whole registration comment...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    You both are close. There is an option in the preferences that allows you to access the music on your iPod from a different computer. But in its default state, this is disabled. If I recall, enabling disk use allows you to access the music.