Energy Saver issue

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Okay, so I just finished installing latest update to mac osx through update panel a few days ago. Now, I can't schedule my computer to sleep. Doesn't matter if I choose everyday/weekends or weekdays or a paticular day. I set the time and check the box for sleep and it won't sleep the computer. Slightly annoying because I run updates at night and try to get the computer to sleep before monring so that the phone line won't be tied up. (I know I'm ancient because I use dial-up). Still, any ideas? And I have checked the time/date panel to make sure time and date are right. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    have you tried:

Zapping your PRAM, Disk 1st Aid, Repair Permissions, and deleting related preferences? Test under a fresh user account?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    Okay, so resetting PMU did not work , neither did zapping PRAM, repairing disk permissions(twice), trying under a different account(still have to input administors name when chaning system prefs under separate account), or deleting the 'system preferences' preference under my home library folder to where it creates itself a new one. Out of ideas! Unless there are other places to delete perferences. thanks for help so far.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    I just played with my energy saver control panel settings, then checked to see what files were modified today. Several pref files were modified, two of which are in main Library rather than home directory:

com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

com.apple.AutoWake.plist

maybe try kicking those two to the curb.

You didn't mention running disk first aid repair (as opposed to permissions)...

Or perhaps some third party HW (internal or external) is getting in the way of the new OS? There was a sleep issue with certain PCI cards a while back.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
  • Reply 5 of 15
    boubabouba Posts: 33member
    I don't know why, or if it's related to 10.3.4, but my ibook doesn't go on sleep automatically. It will drain the battery down to 0 and then shut down the computer. If it is plugged in, the computer will stay awake forever....

Don't know what the problem is.. the console is filled with

Jun 17 02:17:32 localhost bootpd[376]: DHCP REQUEST [en0]: 1,0:a:27:ae:9b:64

but they are every 15 minutes... and the computer is supposed to go on sleep after 5 min...

:,(
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bouba

Don't know what the problem is.. the console is filled with ? Jun 17 02:17:32 localhost bootpd[376]: DHCP REQUEST ? but they are every 15 minutes...

Interesting. Are you connected to cable/DSL modem or do you dial up?

A version of OS8 had a bug where if you left the TCP/IP network setting on "use DHCP", but were not connected to a network via the ethernet cable, it would tie up the computer every so often while it requested an IP via DHCP and coudn't find the DHCP server. Maybe something similar is going on.

I don't see that line in my log but when I hit "renew [DHCP] request" I only got a boring:

2004-06-17 10:07:09 EDT - Network transition occurred.

(I'm connected to a DSL Router with DHCP, but it only offers two IP connections, so it may not work the same way)
  • Reply 7 of 15
    boubabouba Posts: 33member
    I had internet sharing enabled in the sharing pref pane. That might explain that entry in the log. However, I'm not sure if it is related to my problem... i'll test it out.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Okay, so tossed powermangement and autowake pref's, didn't work. I checked sharing prefs, it's off. Disk first aid, do you mean starting up from the CD and running first aid? Because I can't run it from the computer. I assume that's what you mean? I'm wondering too if it's a 10.3.4 issue because it didn't start until I ran latest update for osx.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Meeces

Disk first aid, do you mean starting up from the CD and running first aid?

Yes, do this if you haven't already.

Quote:

I'm wondering too if it's a 10.3.4 issue because it didn't start until I ran latest update for osx.

If it was a new overall bug, I would think there would be a lot of comments about sleep issues. So it's still sounds like either a conflict with a third party element or a corruption that happened during software update. Apple, and independent experts recommend repair permissions before and after all installs to help avoid problems.

Some process is still running that keeps your mac awake?

When you created the second user account, it sounds like you did not give it admin privs, which you should. You might try that again. It's a good idea to have a clean, spare admin account.

give this FAQ thread a run through:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=32364

Or got an Apple Store? - you might try bringing it in to the Genius bar and let some kind soul run through some of the more technical repair efforts.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    good information here

read that, cruise the links...

problem should be solved in an hour or so...
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Thank you for more ideas. I will try them sometimes soon. I can't get to an apple store easily, nearest is 5 hours away. But I will try other ideas and report back. Thanks.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

good information here

read that, cruise the links...

problem should be solved in an hour or so...

Hey, I posted the exact same link above.

Yay for DF!
  • Reply 13 of 15
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    heh oh, didn't see that...

did YOU buy a t-shirt yet?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Okay, quick update. Ran disk repair and repair permissions from install CD, didn't fix the problem. Currently running through the forms linked, including other links to see if I can find something that works. Still very frustrating, such a simple one-time thing. Grrr!
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Okay, a thank you to all for you help. I don't know what did it, but it has fixed itself and is back to working normally. I can schedule shut down and sleep again. yeah! I even fixed the iChat update problem. All without crashing the computer. The genius of Mac.