users and file/folder permissions

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i've got a problem which isn't perhaps major but is causing us a lot of frustration

there are a couple of us in our studio, and we all connect to a file server (running 10.2.8 standard not server), where we put files and folders for projects. generally we work on the files for a project on our local machines then back them up to the server each night.

we all have individual accounts on our laptops (matt, clare etc), running 10.3.x

when i copy files back to the server, and one of my colleagues gets those files the next day, they can't write to them as the file has me as the owner. so they have to change the permissions to allow them to write to it. its a work-around but it gets a real pain!

what are my options for working round this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Make sure that all of you belong to the same group on the server. Change the permissions on the files to allow write access to the group. You can set the persmissions via Finder or the command line.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    how do i set groups on the server? there is nothing in system prefs for that?

and the server has one account (and admin one), and we all have accounts on our local machines. these accounts are not echoed on the server.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

... when i copy files back to the server, and one of my colleagues gets those files the next day, they can't write to them as the file has me as the owner. ...

what are my options for working round this?

Question: Do your colleagues try to open the file on the server side? Or do they have copied back the particular file onto their own laptops?

Once i had a similar issue. As far as i can recall, the issue only occured when i tried to open a file on the server side (or public folder). Then of course i had no permission to do anything with the file. It was read-only. The one who puts the file on the server / public folder is the one who owns that file. Simple as that.

Drag the file from the server to your home directory and you'll mag(c)ically become the owner. Well, yet privileges are a wild chest, apple should adress that issue better sooner than later

Perhaps this helps.

best