thumbnails

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does anyone know why the icons of the images sometimes show as small thumbnails of the images (which is quite handy) but other times even having the same format, profile, etc. only show the icon of the program you open them with?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Icons in Mac OS are traditionally stored as a separate resource, so if a file doesn't have a special icon, a default one is shown (that which is defined by the application supposed to open this file by default). Mac OS X can extract previews for files of certain types from the file data, but there are a lot of formats which the operating system doesn't know what to do with except open them with an appropriate app.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Ok. But it happens to me that same type of files taken with the same camera and processed in the same way and saved in the same format show different behaviours....
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by josegdie

Ok. But it happens to me that same type of files taken with the same camera and processed in the same way and saved in the same format show different behaviours....

That's weird. Obviously, identical actions performed on similar files should yield similar results. Are these files finally saved with one and the same program?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Yes. I normally use photoshop to process all my images but they not always show the same behaviour. And even some of them when dont show a thumbnail if you click on the icon you get a preview of the image on the right hand side of the window but some others don't. I have tried everything but I don't understand why identical files behave differently...
  • Reply 5 of 8
    There's a funny thing about Photoshop: Save and Save As... commands are different in that the former preserves the file's original metadata like the file creator identifier while the latter sets it to 8BIM, i.e. Photoshop. I would try one little experiment, just in case: select 2 differently treated files, Get Info on them, expand the Open with field and select Photoshop there (if they aren't already set to open in Photoshop). If that doesn't help, it must be a bug I've never seen. BTW, is the bug present in other accounts on your machine?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I also think that the dynamic creation of thumbnails only works on files up to a certain size limit. I had a bunch of really large graphics, and they wouldn't generate thumbnails, but that may have changed in Panther
  • Reply 7 of 8
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I've seen a slightly malformed files (but I'm still able to open them) show only their generic icon instead of a preview. The mechanism for generating a preview/thumbnail in the Finderseems to be much more touchy about minor errors and corruptions in the file than other applications.

Also, the Finder won't always bother to generate a thumbnail if the image is gigantic and would take too much time to create it. This seems to be behavior that's being tweaked as revisions to the OS come out, but I've had the Finder kind of "quit" generating a thumb for montrously large images. I can't say what the threashold is if this is really the case.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    sparhawksparhawk Posts: 134member
    is there a way to always see thumbnails in OS X?

adding the Q in here saves another thread.....