Yahoo Mail's New Look

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I logged in this morning and found that yahoo has changed much of it's web based email service. For the same price, I now get 2gigs of storage and no graphical ads. The new look is also a bit cleaner.

Unfortunately, extreme technical difficulties accompanied the changes. Pages fail to load about 95% of the time and all interaction is incredibly lagged.

Anyone else having difficulty accessing yahoo mail today?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

I logged in this morning and found that yahoo has changed much of it's web based email service. For the same price, I now get 2gigs of storage and no graphical ads. The new look is also a bit cleaner.

Unfortunately, extreme technical difficulties accompanied the changes. Pages fail to load about 95% of the time and all interaction is incredibly lagged.

yeah, yahoo announced a bunch of changes to its email system today. unfortuantely, the internet took a serious hickup today, also. it doesn't have anything to do with the new mail service, just an unfortunate coincidence

see: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06...i_goes_postal/
  • Reply 2 of 13
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Suddenly, $100/year for .Mac seems like a poor value.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Suddenly, $100/year for .Mac seems like a poor value.

You don't get ANY of the other services though.

BTW, gMail is gonna kick all ass.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

You don't get ANY of the other services though.

BTW, gMail is gonna kick all ass.

Gmail is a timebomb waiting to happen. If you value your privacy, yahoo is a superior solution. many because of these concerns won't ever respond to emails from addresses orginating from Gmail.

http://www.gmail-is-too-creepy.com/
  • Reply 5 of 13
    It's not like anyone's reading your emails...there's just a script that matches ad content to messages. There's nothing less private about Gmail; it's just that instead of being quiet about the fact that your messages are read by their servers (which, of course, happens with almost all internet data transfer), they use it to your advantage.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Gmail is a timebomb waiting to happen. If you value your privacy, yahoo is a superior solution. many because of these concerns won't ever respond to emails from addresses orginating from Gmail.

http://www.gmail-is-too-creepy.com/

Dude, the rest of the tin-foil-hat crowd delaired privacy dead with the USA Patriot Act. keep up on the news my good man.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Dude, the rest of the tin-foil-hat crowd delaired privacy dead with the USA Patriot Act. keep up on the news my good man.

I think that people have more reasons to suspect the Patriot Act than Gmail.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

less cluttered but worse overall... i prefer the cluttered look to this crap...

placebo... i agree that gMail will kick... i think that this yahoo! upgrade is supposed to counter it.

thoughts

PS
  • Reply 9 of 13
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I think that people have more reasons to suspect the Patriot Act than Gmail.

Or:

Echelon

and

Information Awareness Office

It's original logo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:IAO-logo.png

Which is blasphemous (if one is religious - which, I assumed Bush/Ashcroft proclaim to be) since it depicts "God" seemingly acting as a tool for the U.S. government. The eye on the pyramid on the dollar bill symbolizes the Divine Power yet in the IAO logo it is merely a spy satellite watching the Middle East. With Orwellian/pseudo-Masonic crap like this, who needs conspiracy theories?

And:

Carnivore
  • Reply 10 of 13
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    100 MB now

Yahoo! Mail is the best
  • Reply 11 of 13
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I like Yahoo mail. I obviously cannot sign up for Google mail yet. Yahoo has great spam filters so far. Their interface is also pretty good for web based mail. Plus they also have calendar if I were ever organized enough to use it.

Nick
  • Reply 12 of 13
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

less cluttered but worse overall... i prefer the cluttered look to this crap...

I agree that the interface is in obvious need of improvement.

eMail isn't really that complicated of a task and on yahoo's site, there aren't that many links to other pages.

Unfortunately, they've managed to use something like five horizontal toolbar regions while leaving most sparsely populated. The left side bar is also almost completely wasted. Interface elements (links) are scattered haphazardly, leaving the real content as an afterthought in a sea of randomly located words and graphics.

The one screenshot i've seen of gmail indicates that google recognizes this pitfall and has opted for a clean but not limited interface. Clean layout is one of google's main attractions. Hopefully they recognize this and keep gmail clean.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    BT yahoo email got the upgrade as well, very nice some cool features. Now I have 3 accounts with 300MB of online storage to dispose of, could come in handy one day.