AirportDeluxe

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I figured this device needs it's own thread now... it has probably been discussed a million times elsewhere.

When will Apple come out with an Airport base station that has ALL the connectivity options available on a Mac. We've got AirportExpress with Ethernet, Audio and USB, now we need a version with FireWire and video, too. Imagine a wireless home fileserver. Or that elusive video out to your home theatre.

AirportDeluxe will be it! What else can be added to this great device?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by clonenode

I figured this device needs it's own thread now... it has probably been discussed a million times elsewhere.

When will Apple come out with an Airport base station that has ALL the connectivity options available on a Mac. We've got AirportExpress with Ethernet, Audio and USB, now we need a version with FireWire and video, too. Imagine a wireless home fileserver. Or that elusive video out to your home theatre.

AirportDeluxe will be it! What else can be added to this great device?

well the way things are going, i think just the next airport base station will be this 'deluxe' thing youre talking about. with airport express, there is absolutely no reason to get the regualr base station unless you need the modem and antenna ports or need 50 clients, which I tihnk most consumers can do without. Besides, they cant keep the base station that expensive if they dont add more features. G stations at best buy are like 70 bucks.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

well the way things are going, i think just the next airport base station will be this 'deluxe' thing youre talking about. with airport express, there is absolutely no reason to get the regualr base station unless you need the modem and antenna ports or need 50 clients, which I tihnk most consumers can do without. Besides, they cant keep the base station that expensive if they dont add more features. G stations at best buy are like 70 bucks.

It needs to be able to PPP over the USB Port.

Or incude a DSL modem to be really cool. And HomePlug while they're at it.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Imagine the nice tumor you will grow while walking through the radiation that will be produced from such a device. =)

"Everyone get behind the led wall! I'm syncing the iPod!!"

- Xidius
  • Reply 4 of 10
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    AirPort Extreme also adds wired routing, unless the AirPort Express can do this over the WAN port (like the rev A base stations could).
  • Reply 5 of 10
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    I'm not getting an AirportExpress for the above reasons alone... also I have been thinking about it... If you have to plug in your stereo... that means you would have the AE plugged into a wall socket near your stereo... which in most houses would be in the living area... but then if you want to plug your USB printer into it, you would need to move your printer near by... so move it from your office or bedroom, into your living area... this just wouldn't suit a lot of people.

but yeah, I'm gonna wait until there is a video out.

Les.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:

Originally posted by les t

I'm not getting an AirportExpress for the above reasons alone... also I have been thinking about it... If you have to plug in your stereo... that means you would have the AE plugged into a wall socket near your stereo... which in most houses would be in the living area... but then if you want to plug your USB printer into it, you would need to move your printer near by... so move it from your office or bedroom, into your living area... this just wouldn't suit a lot of people.

Les.

That's why Apple would like you to buy two.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

That's why Apple would like you to buy two.

Ditto...

Not to mention for the price of the AExp it's not *that* big of a deal...

Dave
  • Reply 8 of 10
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    Quote:

Originally posted by les t

but yeah, I'm gonna wait until there is a video out.

Les.

I think video-out is the next step. As you said, most stereo's are in the living room right next to the TV. All you need is an analog and/or optical splitter and run a wire to the stereo and one wire to the tv. Add a selector function to iMovie, just like the selector on AirTunes, and viola, you can stream your iMovies to any TV in the house, providing the TV has A/V-in.

Is everyone sitting..... good. Here is phase 2. The airport extreme/airport express gets A/V-in and A/V-out plugs. Now you can send and recieve data to-and-from the Computer and TV. With that feature in place, you bypass the needs for additional coax jacks on the computer and you can do PVR wirelessly throughout the house.

If Apple doesn't build this, you know someone will. This is too much of a good idea to pass up.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Jobs already alluded to that:

Quote:

http://www.macworld.com/2004/02/features/themacturns20jobs/

We don't think that televisions and personal computers are going to merge. We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on. (...) they want to link sometimes. Like, when you make a movie, you burn a DVD and you take it to your DVD player. Someday that could happen over AirPort, so you don't have to burn a DVD -- you can just watch it right off your computer on your television set. But most of these products that have said, "Let's combine the television and the computer!? have failed. All of them have failed.

• Reply 10 of 10
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    Nice quote. I didn't remember the part that Jobs said that all previous attempts have failed.

Unfortunately, it is a big success in Japan. Most mid-range to high-end models have a TV-tuner built-in. Space is very limited here and when you buy a 20+ inch sized LCD, you'd also want it double as a TV set.

I'm sure that a lot of big cities may have that same problem.