Memory Vendor Recommedation

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am ordering my first apple, a G5 dual 2ghz processor machine for doing Video Editing. Got tired of all the glitches using a PC and Adobe Premier. I am considering ordering the G5 with minimal memory and buying 2 Gigs more from a 3rd party vendor to save money.

I find tons of vendors on the internet selling 512 sticks they say are compatible for prices ranging from $80 each at MemorySolutions.com, to $130 each at MajorMemory, to over $175 at other places. They say the Samsung brand of memory is what Apple ships in the G5. I want to buy quality memory after buying a $3000 new computer system, but dont want to pay more than I need to either.

Is there a difference in memory that i should know about, and pay for? I cannot tell. They all say their memory is great. Can you recommend from your esperience a reputable vendor as well as brand? Thanks for your help and knowledge.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Pa...le=1Template=1

Just remember you have to buy matching sticks of what ever size you buy.

You can't put 1x 2GHz memory stick in there it doesn't work. You need 2, so if you want 1 GHz of ram you'll either get 4 x 256's, or 2 x 512's.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Pa...le=1Template=1

Just remember you have to buy matching sticks of what ever size you buy.

You can't put 1x 2GHz memory stick in there it doesn't work. You need 2, so if you want 1 GHz of ram you'll either get 4 x 256's, or 2 x 512's.

Vendor wise I don't think you'll be dissatisfied with any memory, but crucial, and corsair are usually a good choice for totally reputable memory.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    resres Posts: 711member
    I almost always buy form Crucial If they don't have what I want I get Corsair

You would also be fine with other big names, but those are the ones I usually use.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    I had the privilege to order a DP 2 last night, and I can't help but smile. I decided I didn't want to go generic this time, if the prices were at all comparable. After doing an hour's worth of research on the topic, I've determined the following:

There are at least five name brand manufacturers: Crucial, Kingston, Viking, PNY and Corsair. (I wasn't aware Samsung is a major developer.) Crucial is too expensive, IMO, and their site, while pretty, is unhelpful because their memory selector presents too many module variations.

Kingston is more reasonably priced than Viking; both provide lifetime warranties. OTOH, PNY, the cheapest of the name brand RAM, only provides a 10 year warranty. Finally, I've written off Corsair entirely, since that company seems to cater exclusively to PC "enthusiasts," and a search for Apple yielded 0 results.

I've found the easiest path to price comparison is Froogle, and it's important to compare prices - one could easily get screwed over otherwise. Be aware of the fact that some companies sell/price the modules individually, whereas most others sell/price them in kits. (G5 RAM needs to be added in pairs.) You'll find a lot of smaller tech companies through Froogle; one has to hope they are reputable. The really difficult part is determining which companies have which parts in stock and then figuring out which is the cheapest after taxes and shipping. I'll update my post once I make a decision.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    If I remember this correctly, Crucial makes the RAM that's preinstalled on all Macs. It's cheap, reliable, and fast.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I've had two good experiences buying Mac memory from MemoryX (www.memoryx.net), FWIW.

Alex.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Vendor wise I don't think you'll be dissatisfied with any memory, but crucial, and corsair are usually a good choice for totally reputable memory.

I too use the memory sold by Other World Computing. I have bought over $2000 worth of memory (OWC brand) from them - from the time of Performa to my most recent G5 - and have had ZERO problem from them.

Also their prices are decent. I have no complaint.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Thank you to all for sharing their experience with me regarding memory purchases. I placed the order for 1 Gig of memery with MacSales.com , also known as, OWC (Other World Computing). While all the vendors here seemed solid as I checked out their web sites and called them with a question or two, the price from OWC was the lowest today, for apple approved memory. $93 per 512 stick. Again, thank you to all! I look forward to the apple G5 world!

ParkWalk